Senior running back JJ Di Luigi has been an incredibly versatile player for BYU throughout his career. At 5-foot-9, 185 pounds, Di Luigi has just the right size, speed and shiftiness to make him a weapon with the ball in his hands. For the 2011 season, the Canyon Country, Calif. product leads the Cougars in rushing with 81 carries for 415 yards and three touchdowns. He is also fourth on the team in receiving with 18 catches for 204 yards, including a team-best 57 yard reception.
In 2010, Di Luigi's 1,422 all-purpose yards were the 16th-best in BYU history. For his career, Di Luigi has 1,628 rushing yards, 920 receiving yards and 326 kickoff return yards, good for a total of 2,874 all-purpose yards.
Di Luigi is 19th all-time at BYU in all-purpose yards and is 12th in career rushing yards. He is in 64th in career-receiving yards. If Di Luigi can roll up 80 more receiving yards in his final year, he will be just the 10th player in BYU history with at least 1,000 rushing yards and 1,000 receiving yards for a career.
Not only does Di Luigi impress on the field, but CLICK HERE and check out his reporting skills in this clip from media day earlier in the year.
Here is how Di Luigi looks on the all-time lists and who he might pass in the coming weeks:
BYU Career All-Purpose Yards
1. Brown, Curtis (2002-06) 4,996 yards
17. Hooks, Margin (1997-00) 2,929 yards
18. Pitta, Dennis (2004-09) 2,908 yards
19. Di Luigi, JJ (2008-) 2,874 yards
BYU Career Rushing Yards
1. Unga, Harvey (2006-09) 3,455 yards
10. McKenzie, Brian (1996-97) 1,954 yards
11. Fortie, Eldon (1962-64) 1,666 yards
12. Di Luigi, JJ (2008-) 1,628 yards
BYU Career Receiving Yards
1. Collie, Austin (2004,07-08) 3,255 yards
61. Coats, Daniel (2003-06) 966 yards
62. Tuipulotu, Peter (1987-91) 965 yards
63. Davis, Bill (1978-80) 938 yards
64. Di Luigi, JJ (2008-) 920 yards