Floyd Johnson Passes Away | The Official Site of BYU Athletics

Floyd Johnson Passes Away

Floyd with his wife, Hannah, who suffers from arthritis, at the 1999 Varsity Club tribute to Johnson.

Floyd Johnson, 83, passed away the afternoon of Valentine's Day in Orem due to bone and prostate cancer.

Affectionately known as "Brother J" or Floyd to many, Johnson served over 40 years as equipment manager in the BYU athletic department. Floyd may have been the most revered person Cougar players remember from their times at BYU, but his influence extended beyond the world of athletics. He voluntarily coordinated athlete's speaking assignments to firesides, seminaries, civic and school events, and encouraged hundreds to serve Church missions.

Services will be on Wednesday, February 20th at 11 a.m., at the Suncrest Stake Center (90 N. 600 West, Orem). A viewing will be on Tuesday, February 19th from 6-8 p.m., at Sundberg Olpin Mortuary at 495 S. State in Orem.

"This is a sad day in the history of BYU Athletics," said BYU Athletic Director Val Hale. "Floyd was, perhaps, more beloved than any other person who has ever worked for the athletic department. He was a friend, confidant, father figure, spiritual advisor and counselor to thousands of athletes, coaches and administrators. He was an equipment manager who cared much more about souls than soles. We will miss him."

Johnson genuinely cared about athletes in a way much different than peers, parents, fans or coaches. These athletes invited Floyd into their inner sanctum of private thoughts, worries and feelings. More often than not, Floyd taught them how to be champions for life.

Floyd's immediate family numbers three deceased brothers, four children, seven foster children, nine grandchildren and five great grandchildren.

Floyd was residing with his wife Hannah at a local care center in Orem at the time of his passing. He had recently had surgery for a broken hip. He had officially retired from BYU in August 1983, but continued to serve the athletic department on a volunteer basis.

He was inducted in 1988 to the BYU Athletic Hall of Fame and was Grand Marshall for the 1995 Homecoming.