Ben Murdock had a career-high 10 assists Saturday at Portland. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
The following are postgame notes and quotes from BYU's 78-54 win at Portland Saturday night.
BYU at Portland
Dec. 1, 2007
- BYU head coach Dave Rose has used the same starting lineup in BYU's first seven games, calling on Ben Murdock, Sam Burgess, Lee Cummard, Jonathan Tavernari and Trent Plaisted to begin the game.
- Individual Career Highs: Ben Murdock -- 10 assists; Lee Cummard -- 7 field goals made (tied), 6 assists.
- With the win, BYU is now 132-55 all-time as a ranked team, including a 4-3 mark under head coach Dave Rose.
- At 6-1 so far this year, BYU is off to its best start through seven games since 2002-03, when the Cougars also posted a 6-1 record after seven contests.
- Five of BYU's six wins this season have come by more than 20 points as the Cougars are outscoring opponents by an average of 20.0 points per game.
- With the 78-54 win, BYU is now 6-0 when scoring at least 70 points and 4-0 when holding opponents under the 70-point mark.
- The Cougars are also now 5-1 when outrebounding opponents after a 41-27 advantage against the Pilots.
- BYU's 65.2 percent second-half shooting percentage marked its highest shooting percentage in half this year.
- The Cougars have now led at halftime in six of seven games this year, going 6-0 in those contests and outscoring opponents by an average of 12.9 points in the first half. BYU's 35-21 lead at Portland marked the Cougars' fifth double-digit halftime lead this season.
- BYU has held all seven of its opponents this year under 40 points in the first half. The 21 points scored by Portland in the first half is the second-fewest given up by the Cougars in the first half this year (12 at LBSU).
- Plaisted has scored in double figures in every game this season.
- BYU came out of the locker room with a 17-2 run to begin the second half to take a game-high 29 points. The Cougars have led their opponents by at least 20 points in five games this year.
BYU Head Coach Dave Rose
"I'm really proud of our players. We had really great practices this week as far as effort is concerned, but we didn't execute nearly as well as we usually do. Tonight we came out and executed well."
"We had a full house of BYU fans. They came out and supported us. They were really loud, which was a good feeling for our team."
"In the second half, especially the first 10 minutes, we were really good, not only in terms of focus and energy, but our execution."
"Jimmer [Fredette] really gave us a lift in the second half. He's getting a lot better defensively. He needs to come in and give us a lift like he did tonight. He'll be a key player in our team's success this year."