Cassidy Mears defeated Yale's Connor Dawson as BYU recorded its 12th win of the season. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
BOISE -- The BYU men's tennis team secured one more win before leaving to return home from the Boise State Spring Break Invitational on Saturday. After it's 5-2 victory over Yale, the team improves to 2-1 on the weekend and12-6 overall.
"We won two out of our three matches this weekend, and each one was really tough," said BYU head coach Brad Pearce. "Today our motivation was to leave and return home with one more win under our belt. I'm really proud of our guys for winning today."
To begin the match, Cassidy Mears and Evan Urbina recorded an 8-2 win in doubles play against Jeff Dawson and Matt Schimmel. The Cougars secured the doubles point after a tough 9-7 win at the No. 2 position by Daniel Hwang and Thomas Shubert. BYU is now 7-1 on the season when winning the doubles point.
"I was really pleased that we came out and got the doubles point," said Pearce. "It really helped us as we went into singles, and helped us secure the match before it became a dog fight."
In singles, Evan Urbina closed out the weekend with a perfect 3-0 singles record as he defeated Schimmel 6-3, 6-2 on court five. The Cougars' other wins came at the top three positions. Jonathan Sanchez and Mears both pulled out straight set wins over their respective Yale opponents. After winning his first set, Shubert overcame a second set loss to win 6-1, 2-6, 7-6 over Dawson, maintaining a perfect 2-0 singles record for the tournament.
BYU will return home to host UC Irvine on Tuesday before beginning Mountain West Conference play next weekend.
BYU def. Yale, 5-2
March 22, 2008 - Boise, Idaho
1. J. Sanchez (BYU) def. M. Caldwell (YALE) 7-5, 6-3
2. T. Shubert (BYU) def. J. Dawson (YALE) 6-1, 2-6, 7-6
3. C. Mears (BYU) def. C. Dawson (YALE) 6-4, 6-4
4. C. Bennett (YALE) def. D. Hwang (BYU) 6-2, 7-5
5. E. Urbina (BYU) def. M. Schimmel (YALE) 6-3, 6-2
6. J. Lederman (YALE) def. A. Young (BYU) 6-7, 6-1, 6-2
1. Bennett/Lederman (YALE) def. A. Young/Sanchez (BYU) 8-6
2. Hwang/Shubert (BYU) def. Caldwell/Dawson (YALE) 9-7
3. Mears/Urbina (BYU) def. Dawson/Schimmel (YALE) 8-2