Cale Planck celebrated his 21st birthday with a win against Utah State Wednesday. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
PROVO -- In their last regular season match of the season, the No. 71 BYU men's tennis team beat in-state rival Utah State 5-2 Wednesday to improve its record to 12-13 heading into the conference tournament.
"Important to get another win under our belts going into the tournament to boost our confidence," BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. "It was important to have some competitive match during this week and it was great to give more people an opportunity to play."
Senior James Ludlow, ranked No. 119 in the ITA national polls, finished the regular season with a record of 12-11 with his win at no. 1 singles and Dominik Kaufhold evened his singles record at 11-11 with his win.
The Cougars enter the MWC Tournament as the No. 5 seed and will play New Mexico on April 26 at the Air Force Academy. The winner of that match will play the No. 1 seed, San Diego State, the following day. BYU is 0-2 against UNM this season.
No. 71 BYU vs. Utah State
April 18, 2007
1. Ludlow/Kaufhold (BYU) def. Tyden/Ericsson (USU) 8-4
2. Chip Hand/Jonathan Sanchez (BYU) def. Schenk/Young (USU) 8-1
3. Mears/Planck (BYU) def. Banks/Nate Ballam (USU) 8-3
Order of finish
2, 3*, 1
*clinches doubles point
1. No. 119 James Ludlow (BYU) def. Oscar Ericsson (USU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Dominik Kaufhold(BYU) def. Hannes Schenk (USU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Cassidy Mears (BYU) def. Jonas Tyden 6-2, 7-5
4. Cale Planck (BYU) def. Fernando Gallegos (USU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Mike Banks (USU) def. Albert Nersessyan (BYU) 6-3, 4-6, 10-2
6. Dantley Young (USU) def. Jason Johnson (BYU) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish:
2, 1, 3*, 4, 5, 6
*clinches team win
BYU wins 5-2