The BYU men's tennis team defeated the Lions of Loyola Marymount Thursday 4-3 in their first dual match of the 2003 season.
Against LMU, the Cougars lost the doubles point with No. 7 ranked Carlos Lozano and Erik Nyman of BYU losing to Leopold Graeubig and Michael Wojnarowicz 8-5 in the top doubles match. But the Cougars were able to pull of the victory by winning four of the six singles matches. Alonzo Medina came up with the deciding win at the No. 5 singles spot. Medina beat Michael Wojnarowicz in a tough three-set match 6-2, 2-6, 6-3.
BYU head coach Jim Osborne said he was pleased with how his team played in the first match of the season.
"Coming into this first match, I was hoping that some of the guys in the lower singles positions would step up for us," Osborne said. "They did so in a big way. It was great to have Alonzo (Medina) get such a big win at the No. 5 spot."
The Cougars continue their California road trip when they face UC Irvine on Friday.
BYU def. Loyola Marymount, Final Score 4-3
1. Tigran Martirosyan (LMU) def. Carlos Lozano (BYU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Erik Nyman (BYU) def. Leopold Graeubig (LMU) 7-6, 6-2
3. Jose Lechuga (BYU) def. Anthony Evrard (LMU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Johannes Asuja (LMU) def. Anton Rudjuk (BYU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Alonzo Medina (BYU) def. Michael Wojnarowicz (LMU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
6. Jeff Olsen (BYU) def. Carlos Malet (LMU) 6-3, 6-3
1. Graeubig/Wojnarowicz (LMU) def. Lozano/Nyman (BYU) 8-5
2. Rudjuk/Lechuga (BYU) def. Martirosyan/Asuja (LMU) 8-5
3. Evrard/Kennedy (LMU) def. Olsen/Medina (BYU) 8-5