PROVO -- BYU dropped just two singles matches and recorded a 3-0 sweep in doubles play on its way to a 5-2 rout of Idaho State Saturday night.
With number two player Gert Vilms sitting out the singles competition for the second night in a row, juniors Nic Losee and Dave White stepped up to carry the load for the Cougars. Both matches went the full three sets, but Losee and White picked up wins at number two and number three singles for BYU. Freshmen Carlos Lozano and Michael Faust posted straight set victories for the Cougars in number four and number six, respectively.
Losee and Lozano made quick work of the number one doubles match, winning 8-1. Returning to the lineup for the doubles matches, Vilms teamed with Damien Ward to pick up a win at number two. The duo, ranked 15th in the country, improved their dual match record to 5-1. White and Olsen finished the sweep with an 8-4 victory at number three.
One of the Bengals' victories came early in the evening. George Kyvernitis won the number one singles match 6-4, 7-5 over Ward. Idaho State also won at number four.
BYU, who improved to 6-1 with the win, will host No. 27 Boise State on Feb. 26.
1. Kyvernitis (ISU) def. Ward, 6-4, 7-5
2. Losee (BYU) def. Sommer, 2-6, 6-3, 7-6
3. White (BYU) def. Torn, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
4. Lozano (BYU) def. G. Devidze, 6-2, 6-1
5. Swan (ISU) def. Rudjuk, 7-6, 6-2
6. Faust (BYU) def. V. Devidze, 6-4, 6-2
1. Losse/Lozano (BYU) def. Kyvernitis/Sommer, 8-1
2. Ward/Vilms (BYU) def. V. Devidze/Swan, 8-4
3. White/Olsen (BYU) def. G. Devidze/Torn, 8-4