Captain Francis Sargeant beat his opponent at No. 1 singles in the loss to Saint Mary's. (Photo by BYU Photo/Jaren Wilkey)
MORAGA, Calif. -- The BYU men’s tennis team fell behind early against Saint Mary’s, dropping a 4-3 decision in West Coast Conference action, Saturday.
The Cougars (7-10, 1-1 WCC) ran into trouble early as they dropped the doubles decision to the Gaels (6-6, 1-1 WCC).
In singles action, captain Sargeant put BYU on the board first as he closed out Norstrom in extended straight sets, 7-5, 7-6 (7-2).
After the win at first singles the match score was at 3-1 in favor of the Gaels. Then Goryachkov fell at the second slot in two hard-fought sets, 7-6 (7-4), 7-5.
The Cougars narrowed the margin at No. 5 and 6 singles.
In the fifth slot, Matthew Pearce
completed his second straight comeback win in singles. The freshman lost the first set 5-7 before swaying the momentum in tiebreakers in the second 7-6 (7-5). Pearce then claimed the victory in the shortened third set, 1-0 (10-4).
At sixth singles, Jacob Sullivan
also won his second in a row with a three-set decision over Wil Martin, 7-5, 6-7 (5-7), 1-0 (11-9).
BYU returns home for WCC matches against Loyola Marymount Friday at 1 p.m. MDT and No. 46 Pepperdine Saturday at 1 p.m. Live statistics will be available on the BYU athletics website.
Tennis Match Results
Brigham Young vs Saint Mary's College
Mar 22, 2014 at Moraga, Calif.
(Korth Tennis Complex)
Saint Mary's College 4, Brigham Young 3
1. SARGEANT, Francis (BYU) def. Joakim Norstrom (SMC) 7-5, 7-6 (7-2)
2. Tuomas Manner (SMC) def. GORYACHKOV, Andrey (BYU) 7-6 (7-4), 7-5
3. Thomas Hunt (SMC) def. BOURGEOIS, Jeremy (BYU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Nathan Lewis (SMC) def. PFISTER, Robin (BYU) 6-3, 6-4
5. PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) def. Mathias Olsen (SMC) 5-7, 7-6 (7-5), 1-0 (10-4)
6. SULLIVAN, Jacob (BYU) def. Wil Martin (SMC) 7-5, 6-7 (5-7), 1-0 (11-9)
1. GORYACHKOV, Andrey/PFISTER, Robin (BYU) def. Joakim Norstrom/Tuomas Manner (SMC) 8-6
2. Nathan Lewis/Thomas Hunt (SMC) def. GALLI, Sterling/SARGEANT, Francis (BYU) 8-3
3. Wil Martin/James Markiewicz (SMC) def. PEARCE, Matthew/SULLIVAN, Jacob (BYU) 8-6
Brigham Young 7-10, 1-1 WCC
Saint Mary's College 6-6, 1-1 WCC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,3,1,2,5,6)