SAN -- The BYU men's tennis team defeated San Diego State 4-3 in a dual match held Thursday in San Diego.
The Cougars used strong play in doubles to pick up the doubles point and give BYU the win. The doubles team of Damien Ward and Gert Vilms defeated Adam Webster and Oliver Maberger 8-6 in number one doubles. In number two doubles the team of Carlos Lozano and Nic Losee, ranked 16th in the country, defeated San Diego State's Travis Hasson and Dan Castro 8-5.
In singles, the Cougars and Aztecs split with each team winning three matches. Ward defeated Webster 7-5, 6-4 in number one play while Maberger came from behind and beat Vilms in number two singles, 6-7, 6-4, 6-2.
Losee and freshman Michael Faust won the other two singles matches for the Cougars. Losee defeated Sean Walker in number four singles, 6-4, 6-2 and Faust outlasted Blair O'Hara 6-3, 3-6, 6-1.
The Cougars finish their roadtrip Friday when they play the University of San Diego. The Cougars first home match will be Feb. 11 against Air Force.
1. Ward (BYU) def. Webster, 7-5, 6-4
2. Maberger (SDSU) def. Vilms, 6-7, 6-4, 6-2
3. Hasson (SDSU) def. Lozano, 6-2, 6-2
4. Losee (BYU) def. Walker, 6-4, 6-2
5. Castro (SDSU) def. White, 7-5, 7-6
6. Faust (BYU) def. O'Hara, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
1. Ward/Vilms (BYU) def. Webster/Maberger, 8-6
2. Losee/Lozano def. Hasson/Castro, 8-5
3. White/Rudjuk def. Walker/O'Hara, 8-3