Thomas Shubert clinched the match with a win on Court 5 in singles. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
SAN DIEGO -- Still undefeated in conference, the No. 36 BYU men’s tennis team struck down San Diego State 5-2 Saturday on the Aztecs’ home court in the two teams’ second matchup of the season.
“I think San Diego State played well in doubles,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “They really took it to us. But our guys bounced back and got on board early in singles to get another conference win. They’re continuing to fight hard and compete this season. It’s nothing new, just what we’ve been doing the entire year. San Diego State played a tough match, so it was a good win for us.”
No. 116 Patrick Kawka gave BYU (16-4, 3-0) its first point, winning 6-1, 6-1 against Hunter Nicholas. His was followed by a 6-3, 6-2 win from Spencer Smith against Tim Schulz van Endert. Georgy Batrakov continued his 14-match winning streak with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Javier Pulgar on Court 2.
Thomas Shubert clinched the match on Court 5, defeating Andre Feliz 6-3, 6-4 and Roman Warias followed up with a 7-6 (4), 6-2 win against Juan Florez.
SDSU (4-14, 2-3) received its only singles point from Giovanni Vaglietti defeating Evan Urbina 6-3, 7-6 (5) on Court 1.
In doubles the Aztecs took control, with Vaglietti and Nicholas breaking Batrakov and Shubert’s winning streak (8-6). Urbina and Kawka also fell to SDSU opponents in an 8-0 match. Warias and Smith pulled out with the only Cougar doubles victory, defeating Feliz and Sangwan 8-6.
In the January matchup, BYU swept the match 4-0.
Next up, the Cougars return home for a 1 p.m. matchup against New Mexico Thursday and an 11 a.m. matchup against Air Force Saturday.
No. 36 BYU vs. San Diego State
BYU- 5 SDSU-2
1) Vaglietti/Nicholas (SDSU) def. Batrakov/Shubert (BYU), 8-6
2) Pulgar/Schulz van Endert (SDSU) def. Urbina/Kawka (BYU), 8-0
3) Warias/Smith (BYU) def. Feliz/Sangwan (SDSU), 8-6
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1) Giovanni Vaglietti (SDSU) def. Evan Urbina (BYU), 6-3, 7-6 (5)
2) Georgy Batrakov (BYU) def. Javier Pulgar (SDSU), 6-1, 6-3
3) Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Tim Schulz van Endert (SDSU), 6-3, 6-2
4) No. 116 Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Hunter Nicholas (SDSU), 6-1, 6-1
5) Thomas Shubert (BYU) def. Andre Feliz (SDSU), 6-3, 6-4
6) Roman Warias (BYU) def. Juan Florez (SDSU), 7-6 (4), 6-2
Order of finish: 4, 3, 2, 5, 1, 6