PROVO -- In a repeat performance of last season, the BYU men's tennis team lost its final home match of the season to Mountain West Conference rival Utah 5-2 Wednesday in Provo.
For the second year in a row the Cougars have split with the Utes during the regular season. Both years the home team has lost each match.
"This is a repeat of last year," BYU head coach Jim Osborne. "We beat them at their place and then they come down here and beat us. My guess is that we could see them in the first round of the Mountain West Conference tournament as well. It would be interesting to see what would happen on a neutral court."
The Cougars were led by freshman Carlos Lozano. Lozano defeated Ashley Dyer 6-3, 6-4 at number two singles and teamed with Anton Rudjuk to win the only doubles match of the day for the Cougars. With the singles win Lozano has won 12 of last 13 singles matches.
Sophomore Gert Vilms picked up the other point for the Cougars by defeating Trevor Ferguson 6-3, 6-4 at number three singles. Vilms and teammate Damien Ward, who was playing in his final home match ever, lost to Ferguson and David Mercier 9-8 in number one doubles. Ward and Vilms are currently ranked 12th in the nation.
BYU will next face Weber State April 11 at 2 p.m. in Ogden, Utah. The Mountain West Conference tournament will be in Albuquerque, N.M., April 20-22.
1. David Mercier (UU) def. Damien Ward, 6-4, 6-4
2. Carlos Lozano (BYU) def. Ashley Dyer, 6-3, 6-4
3. Gert Vilms (BYU) def. Trevor Ferguson, 6-3, 6-4
4. Daniel Carlsson (UU) def. Dave White, 6-3, 6-3
5. David Laverty (UU) def. Anton Rudjuk, 6-3, 7-6
6. Kevin Zenger (UU) def. Michael Faust, 6-1, 2-6, 6-3
1. Ferguson/Mercier (UU) def. Ward/Vilms, 9-8
2. Lozano/Rudjuk (BYU) def. Yip/Zenger, 9-8
3. Dyer/Laverty (UU) def. White/Olsen, 8-6