STANFORD -- In its second match of a four-match road trip, the BYU men's tennis team lost to No. 1 Stanford 6-1 Wednesday.
The highlight for the Cougars was the play of freshman Carlos Lozano who defeated David Martin in number four singles 6-4, 6-3. Martin is currently ranked 100th in singles and he was a junior doubles champion as well. That singles match gave the Cougars their only point of the day as the Cardinal won every other match of the day.
Junior Nic Losee also played well for the Cougars before losing to No. 77 Scotty Scott at number three singles 6-3, 4-6, 6-2.
In doubles, the team of sophomore Gert Vilms and senior Damien Ward, currently ranked 9th in the country, lost to the number one team in the country, Geoff Abrams and Alex Kim, 8-6. The win paced the way for the rest of the doubles matches. Losee and Lozano, who are currently ranked 25th in doubles, lost to Ali Ansari and Scotty Scott 8-4 in number two doubles.
The Cougars, who drop to 9-5 overall, will face Washington in San Jose, Calif., Thursday.
1. Alex Kim (S) def. Gert Vilms, 6-1, 6-2
2. Geoff Abrams (S) def. Damien Ward, 6-3, 6-2
3. Scotty Scott (S) def. Nic Losee, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
4. Carlos Lozano (BYU) def. David Martin, 6-4, 6-3
5. Ali Ansari (S) def. Anton Rudjuk, 6-4, 7-6
6. Carter Morris (S) def. David White, 6-3, 7-6
1. Abrams/Kim (S) def. Vilms/Ward, 8-6
2. Ansari/Scott (S) def. Losee/Lozano, 8-4
3. Martin/Morris (S) def. Olsen/White, 8-6