SAN -- In its first dual match of the season, the BYU men's tennis team defeated UC-San Diego 5-1 Monday in San Diego.
The Cougars lost only one doubles match to cruise to the team win. The doubles team of Nic Losee and Carlos Lozano, ranked No. 16 in the nation, defeated Michael Meyer and Ceedric Mazzara 8-4 in the number two doubles match.
In number one doubles, Damien Ward and Gert Vilms, ranked 26th in the nation, followed up their win in the Milwaukee Tennis Classic two weeks ago with an 8-7 victory over Cory Moderhak and Mike Rosett.
The only loss the Cougars suffered was in number three doubles. Ari Frankel and Ryan Thompson of UC-San Diego defeated Dave White and Jeff Olsen 8-5.
In singles play, the Cougars dominated with every player winning except number one player Damien Ward, whose match with Michael Meyer being suspended at 1-1 because the Cougars had clinched the win. Vilms defeated Moderhak in number two singles 6-3, 6-2.
The Cougars will face USC tomorrow in Los Angeles. BYU starts its home season with a match against Air Force Feb. 11 at 6 p.m.
1. Ward (BYU) vs. Meyer, 1-1 (suspended)
2. Vilms (BYU) def. Moderhak, 6-3, 6-2
3. Lozano (BYU) def. Mazzara, 6-1, 6-3
4. Losee (BYU) def. Rosett, 6-1, 6-1
5. White (BYU) def. Frankel, 6-3, 6-0
6. Michael Faust (BYU) def. Thompson, 6-0, 6-2
1. Ward/Vilms (BYU) def. Moderhak/Rosett, 8-7
2. Losee/Lozano (BYU) def. Meyer/Mazzara, 8-4
3. Frankel/Thompson (UCSD) def. White/Olsen, 8-5