Senior Georgy Batrakov defeated his opponents at the No. 1 singles and doubles positions in BYU's routing of Nevada Friday at the Indoor Tennis Courts. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
PROVO, Utah – The No. 52 BYU men’s tennis team routed the Nevada Wolfpack, 7-0, Friday at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts.
"To have our guys come back two days after a big rival match and play as well as they did, I was very proud," BYU coach Brad Pearce said. "I was impressed with how Georgy [Batrakov] performed, along with the rest of our guys. It was a great effort on their part and I'm really proud of them."
To watch video click here
In doubles, senior Georgy Batrakov and sophomore Patrick Kawka took a quick 7-1 lead over Wessim Derbel and Fernando Sunaqo on Court 1. With BYU serving for the match, Kawka dished out an ace for an 8-1 victory.
Playing at the No. 3 position, freshman Keaton Cullimore and senior Michael Eraso broke Nevada’s serve for a 7-5 lead. The pair went on to take the match, 8-5.
One point later, senior Spencer Smith and freshman Francis Sargeant wrapped up their match on Court 2 against Quentin Meqe and Victor Ouvrard. After a 5-4 score, the Cougars took three games in a row to finish 8-4.
Two days after defeating rival Utah, the Cougars (5-5) did not drop a single set to the Wolfpack (3-4) in singles.
Playing at the No. 3 position, Smith was the first off the courts for the Cougars in singles, topping his opponent 6-2, 6-4.
Only needing one game to secure a Court 4 win, Cullimore battled through back-and-forth advantages to take the match against Jordan Rozenfeld, 6-2, 6-4.
Playing at the No. 1 position, No. 50 Batrakov held serve to get to 3-3 in the second set. The Russian netter broke away and won the next six games to top No. 80 Derbel, 6-4, 6-3, and clinch the BYU win.
Kawka’s 6-0, 7-6(2) victory over Meqe on Court 4 gave the Cougars their fifth point of the night.
Sargeant and Eraso won their respective matches on Court 5 and 6 to wrap up the sweep.
The Cougars next travel to Colorado to take on Air Force on Feb. 24 and Denver on Feb. 25.
No. 52 BYU – 7
Nevada – 0
1. No. 50 Georgy Batrakov (BYU) def. No. 80 Wessim Derbel (NEV), 6-4, 6-3
2. Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Victor Ouvrard (NEV), 6-0, 7-6(2)
3. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Moez Charqui (NEV), 6-2, 6-4
4. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) def. Jordan Rozenfeld (NEV), 6-2, 6-4
5. Francis Sargeant (BYU) vs. Quentin Meqe (NEV), 6-4, 6-2
6. Michael Eraso (BYU) def. Fernando Sunaqo (NEV), 6-2, 6-2
1. G. Batrakov/P. Kawka (BYU) def. W. Derbel/F. Sunaqo (NEV), 8-1
2. F. Sargeant/S. Smith (BYU) def. Q. Meqe/V. Ouvrard (NEV), 8-4
3. K. Cullimore/M. Eraso (BYU) def. N. Reix/M. Charqui (NEV), 8-5
BYU (5-5); national ranking #52
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 3, 2), Singles (3, 4, 1, 2, 6, 5)