PROVO, Utah (April 24, 2003) After winning the doubles point with wins at number one and three doubles, BYU was able to clinch the win over UNLV by a score of 4-1, Thursday in the second match of the day at this year's MWC Men's Tennis Championships.
With a 1-0 lead after doubles, the Cougars picked up two more points to go up 3-0 when Anton Rudjuk defeated the Rebels' Ryan Barber 6-0, 6-1 at the number six singles. He was followed by teammate Alonso Medina at the number five singles spot who beat UNLV's Milos Blagojevic 7-5, 6-1.
Joel Kiebowicz picked up one point for UNLV with his win at the number four singles spot. He defeated BYU's Jeff Olsen in straight sets 2-6, 6-7.
Singles play continued with the Rebels picking up a 6-4 first set win at number one singles and a 6-3 set victory at the number three singles position. BYU came back to take the second set and send the matches two a third and final set. Meanwhile at the number two singles, the Cougars' Carlos Lozano was able to hold on to a straight sets 6-2, 7-6 win over UNLV's Aviram Salomon to give BYU the 4-1 victory in the match.
MWC Men's Tennis Championship action continues from Provo on Friday with no. 1 seed San Diego State battling Air Force at 9 a.m., followed by a 1 p.m., match between hosts BYU and the no. 2 seeded New Mexico Lobos. Utah and UNLV will meet at 5 p.m., in a battle for fifth place in the tournament. Ticket prices are $4 for adults and $2 for students. All tennis matches will be played on the BYU outdoor courts located just behind the Smith Fieldhouse.
1. Erik Nyman (BYU) vs. Henner Nehles (UNLV) 4-6, 6-3, DNF
2. Carlos Lozano (BYU) def. Avriam Salomon (UNLV) 6-2, 7-6
3. Jose Lechuga (BYU)vs. Romain Mussaro (UNLV) 3-6, 6-3, DNF
4. Joel Kielbowicz (UNLV) def. Jeff Olsen (BYU) 2-6, 6-7
5. Alonso Medina (BYU) def. Milos Blagojevic (UNLV) 7-5, 6-1
6. Anton Rudjuk (BYU) def. Ryan Barber (UNLV) 6-0, 6-1
1. Nyman/Lozano (BYU) def. Nehles/Mussaro (UNLV) 8-6
2. Salomon/Kielbowics (UNLV) def. Lechuga/Rudjuk (BYU) 8-3
3. Olsen/Medina (BYU) def. Blagojevic/Barber (UNLV) 8-3