Spencer Smith beat his San Diego State opponent in straight sets to boost the Cougars to a win. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
LOS -- The No. 43 BYU men’s tennis team rebounded from Thursday’s loss with a sweeping 4-0 victory against No. 52 San Diego State Saturday to end the ITA Kick-Off Weekend.
"It was a heartbreaking loss yesterday," BYU head coach Brad Pearce said."I'm really proud of our guys for getting ready for a tough conference opponent and bouncing back after a tough loss. The SDSU match could have gone either way."
Daniel Hwang and Georgy Batrakov started the match right for the Cougars (3-3) with a win against Tim Shulz van Endert and Andre Feliz 8-4. Evan Urbina and Patrick Kawka followed with a win of their own, taking down Giovanni Vaglietti and Hunter Nicholas 8-6.
In singles No. 88 Kawka kept the momentum going with a win on Court 5 against Juan Florez, who retired with a 4-0 score due to injury. On Court 2, Spencer Smith shut out Vaglietti in straight sets 6-3, 6-2. Batrakov finished off the BYU victory by beating Shulz van Endert 6-2, 6-3.
Friday, the Cougars are back in Provo for a 5:30 p.m. match against Montana State at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts. Admission is free and free pizza and prizes will be provided.
No. 43 BYU vs. No. 52 SDSU
1. Urbina/Kawka (BYU) def. Vaglietti/Nicholas (SDSU) 8-6
2. Smith/Shubert (BYU) vs. Pulgar/Florez (SDSU) 7-7 susp.
3. Hwang/Batrakov (BYU) def. Shulz van Endert/Feliz (SDSU) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 1
1. #110 Evan Urbina (BYU) vs. Javier Pulgar (SDSU) 3-6, 6-5 susp.
2. Spencer Smith (BYU) def.Giovanni Vaglietti (SDSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Thomas Shubert (BYU) vs. Andre Feliz (SDSU) 7-5, 4-3 susp.
4. Georgy Batrakov (BYU) def.Tim Schulz van Endert (SDSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. # 88 Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Juan Florez (SDSU) 4-0 def. (inj.)
6. Daniel Hwang (BYU) vs. Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) 6-1, 2-6, 2-1 susp.
Order of finish: 5, 2, 4