SALT LAKE -- Led by strong singles play at the top of its lineup, the BYU men's tennis team defeated Mountain West Conference rival Utah 4-3 in a dual match at the Eccles Tennis Center in Salt Lake City Friday.
Cougar sophomore Gert Vilms defeated Ashley Dyer in number one singles 6-4, 6-4 while senior Damien Ward defeated David Mercier 6-1, 6-3 to lead the Cougars to the win that improved their overall record to 8-2 on the season. They are now 3-0 in Mountain West Conference play.
Freshman Anton Rudjuk sealed the victory for BYU with his 7-5, 7-6 win at number six singles over the Utes' Nick Yip. Freshman Carlos Lozano also won his singles match at number three over Trevor Ferguson, 7-6, 4-6, 6-3.
In doubles play the Cougars, who have two teams ranked in the top25 in the country, lost the point by losing in both number one doubles and number two doubles. Ward and Vilms, ranked 22nd in the nation, lost to Dyer and Mercier 8-4 in number one singles. Lozano and junior Nic Losee, ranked 15th, lost to Kevin Zenger and Yip 9-8.
The Cougars will host Utah State in a non-conference match Friday at 6 p.m.
1. Vilms (BYU) def. Dyer, 6-4, 6-4
2. Ward (BYU) def. Mercier, 6-1, 6-3
3. Lozano (BYU) def. Ferguson, 7-6, 4-6, 6-3
4. Carlsson (UU) def. Losee, 7-5, 6-4
5. Laverty (UU) def. White, 7-6, 7-6
6. Rudjuk (BYU) def. Yip, 7-5, 7-6
1. Dyer/Mercier (UU) def. Ward/Vilms, 8-4
2. Zenger/Yip (UU) def. Losee/Lozano, 9-8
3. White/Olsen (BYU) def. Carlsson/Laverty, 9-8