Freshman Jacob Sullivan dominated his opponent in straight sets 6-1, 6-2. (Photo by BYU Photo/Jaren Wilkey)
PROVO, Utah -- Behind clutch play in doubles and an all-around team effort, BYU men’s tennis dominated Idaho, sweeping the match 7-0 on Saturday.
The Cougars (6-7) stole the show in doubles, riding that momentum to set up the sweep over the Vandals (5-8).
“We paid the price this week in practice,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce
said. “Hopefully the guys should be able to see the relationship between hard, dedicated, intense work and success.”
With new doubles combinations, BYU came out strong, narrowly edging Idaho in two of the three matches.
In first doubles, sophomore Andrey Goryachkov
and freshman Robin Pfister
lost a nailbiter in tiebreakers to Jose Bendeck and Cristobal Ramos, 8-7 (7-2).
Freshmen Jeremy Bourgeois
and Sterling Galli
answered with a close win of their own at third doubles over Matt Oddonetto and Cesar Torres, 8-6, which then put the focus on the match at second doubles.
“Sterling and Jeremy getting the win put it on Francis and Matthew and I thought they closed that out brilliantly in the tiebreaker,” coach Pearce said. “It was truly playing to win, rather than not to lose.”
The Cougars cruised in singles action, winning five of the six matches in straight sets.
The captain and 114th-ranked player Sargeant led out by dominating his opponent 6-2, 6-2, for his 11th win in 2014. Goryachkov also claimed a victory, ousting Artemiy Nikitin 6-4, 6-3.
All four freshmen came away victorious in singles as well. Bourgeois defeated Cristobal Ramos in two sets, 6-3, 6-4, and Jacob Sullivan
overpowered Sam Laudon 6-1, 6-2.
Pfister upended Odon Barta’s comeback bid by taking the win in the third set, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3. Matthew Pearce
ended the night for the Cougars by handily defeating Torres, 6-2, 6-4, to complete the match sweep.
BYU travels down to Albuquerque, N.M., for matches against New Mexico and No. 39 Texas Tech Friday at 1 p.m. MST and Saturday at 11 a.m., respectively.
Brigham Young 7, Idaho 0
1. SARGEANT, Francis (BYU) def. Bendeck, Jose (IDAHO) 6-2, 6-2
2. GORYACHKOV, Andrey (BYU) def. Nikitin, Artemiy (IDAHO) 6-4, 6-3
3. BOURGEOIS, Jeremy (BYU) def. Ramos, Cristobal (IDAHO) 6-3, 6-4
4. PFISTER, Robin (BYU) def. Barta, Odon (IDAHO) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
5. PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) def. Torres, Cesar (IDAHO) 6-2, 6-4
6. SULLIVAN, Jacob (BYU) def. Laudon, Sam (IDAHO) 6-1, 6-2
1. Bendeck, Jose/Ramos, Cristobal (IDAHO) def. GORYACHKOV, Andrey/PFISTER, Robin (BYU) 8-7 (7-2)
2. PEARCE, Matthew/SARGEANT, Francis (BYU) def. Barta, Odon/Nikitin, Artemiy (IDAHO) 8-7 (7-4)
3. GALLI, Sterling/BOURGEOIS, Jeremy (BYU) def. Torres, Cesar/Oddonetto, Matt (IDAHO) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,3,2,4,6,5)