BYU swept Air Force 7-0 Friday to earn its third consecutive conference win. (Photo by Jaren Wilkey/BYU Photo)
SAN -- Solid performances by the No. 64 BYU men’s tennis team secured the first conference sweep of the season for the Cougars, a 7-0 win over the Air Force Academy.
“We had a goal to win all three doubles matches and win decisively at every position in singles,” BYU coach Brad Pearce said. “We got what we wanted out of the match today.”
BYU showed its strength in doubles again with strong play by pairs on courts one through three.
In singles, every member of the Cougar lineup recorded a win to end the match at 7-0. The victory by Cassidy Mears at the No. 4 position marked the junior's twentieth win of the spring season.
No. 42 New Mexico will close out conference play for the Cougars. The match against the Lobos begins at 9 a.m. PT Saturday.
“We’re capable of beating New Mexico,” Pearce said. “We’ve got to compete at the same level that we did against San Diego State from start to finish.”
No. 64 BYU-7
1. Warias / A.J. Young (BYU) def. Francis / Tomlin, 8-2
2. Shubert / Hwang (BYU) def. Rodgers / Soster, 8-6
3. Mears / Urbina (BYU) def. Buckingham / Will Brown, 8-1
1. Roman Warias (BYU) def. Austin Francis, 6-3, 6-2
2. Evan Urbina (BYU) def. Cody Hall, 6-0, 6-2
3. Thomas Shubert (BYU) def. Brett Rodgers, 6-0, 6-1
4. Cassidy Mears (BYU) def. Taylor Soster, 6-0, 6-1
5. Georgy Batrakov (BYU) def. Johnny Buckingham, 6-0, 6-0
6. Daniel Hwang (BYU) def. James Tomlin, 6-3, 6-2