FRESNO -- After playing four road matches in five days, the BYU men's tennis team finished the trip with a 5-2 loss at Fresno State Saturday. The loss to the Bulldogs left the Cougars with an 0-4 record on the trip.
Senior Damien Ward and sophomore Gert Vilms, ranked No. 9 in the country in doubles, won at number one doubles against Andy Scorteanu and Rob Cheyne 9-8. The 25th-ranked doubles team of junior Nic Losee and freshman Carlos Lozano lost its fifth match in a row when they were knocked off by Peter Luczak and David Mullins 8-3.
In singles play, Ward picked up one of BYU's two points when he defeated Scorteanu in number three singles 6-4, 6-7, 6-3. The Cougars' other point was earned by Anton Rudjuk at number six singles. Rudjuk defeated Nick Fustar 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 to pick up the win.
At number one singles, Vilms went three games before losing in a tiebreaker against Olivier Le Jeune 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (7-4). Le Jeune is currently ranked 32nd in the country. Lozano also went three games before losing to No. 49 Luczak 6-7, 7-5, 6-4. It was the first singles loss for Lozano in ten matches. His last loss was Jan. 28 against the University of San Diego.
The Cougars will next travel to Las Vegas for a pair of Mountain West matches. BYU will face UNLV March 31 and New Mexico April 1 in Las Vegas.
1. Olivier Le Jeune (FS) def. Gert Vilms, 6-3, 4-6, 7-6
2. Peter Luczak (FS) def. Carlos Lozano, 6-7, 7-5, 6-4
3. Damien Ward (BYU) def. Andy Scorteanu, 6-4, 6-7, 6-3
4. Rob Cheyne (FS) def. Nic Losee, 7-5, 6-2
5. David Mullins (FS) def. David White, 7-6, 6-4
6. Anton Rudjuk (BYU) def. Nick Fustar, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
1. Ward/Vilms (BYU) def. Scorteanu/Cheyne, 9-8
2. Luczak/Mullins (FS) def. Losee/Lozano, 8-3
3. Fustar/Le Jeune (FS) def. Olsen/White, 8-6