Jose Lechuga got his 15th victory against New Mexico. (Photo by Jaren Wilkey/BYU Photo)
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (April 6, 2006) -- The BYU Cougars started their three-match road trip the best way possible, netting their first conference win of the season and snapping No.74 New Mexico's four-match win streak with a 5-2 victory over the Lobos on Thursday. The win brings BYU to 8-14 on the season, and drops the Lobos to 9-5, 1-0 in conference play.
New Mexico seemed to be in control at the outset, using the home-court advantage to get out in front during doubles play. The Cougars were in every match they played, but a few balls that didn't bounce their way allowed New Mexico to squeak out two victories and clinch the first point of the match. The closest match was on court one, where Max Jones and Kamil Pajkowski edged Jose Lechuga and James Ludlow 9-7.
Ludlow and Lechuga didn't let the defeat get to them, and used the bitter taste in their mouths as ammunition for their singles matches. Consistent as always, Lechuga fended off Pajkowski for a 6-4, 6-4 win. Taking control on court one, Ludlow battled to a close 6-4, 7-5 over Jones. Ivan Kokurin, Christian Hand and Jonathan Sanchez all earned straight-set victories as well en route to the 5-2 victory.
BYU stays in New Mexico to defend its 1-0 conference record tomorrow against 11-7 Air Force. The Falcons are 0-3 in the conference.
BYU 5 UNM 2
1. Jones/Pajkowski (UNM) def. Ludlow/Lechuga (BYU) 9-7
2. Hand/Sanchez (BYU) def. Parkes/Bugby (UNM) 8-6
3. Conklin/Kassautzki (UNM) def. Kaufhold/Kokurin (BYU) 8-5
1. James Ludlow (BYU) def. Max Jones (UNM) 6-4, 7-5
2. Johnny Parkes (UNM) def. Dominick Kaufhold (BYU) 6-4, 6-0
3. Ivan Kokurin (BYU) def. Graeme Kassautzki (UNM) 7-5, 6-2
4. Jose Lechuga (BYU) def. Kamil Pajkowski (UNM) 6-4, 6-4
5. Christian Hand (BYU) def. Eric Conklin (UNM) 6-4, 6-4
6. Jonathan Sanchez (BYU) def. Chandler Brass (UNM) 6-3, 6-1