Sophomore Andrey Goryachkov defeated his opponent at No. 2 singles to clinch the 4-3 win for BYU. (Photo by Jaren Wilkey/BYU Photo)
STOCKTON, Calif. -- Despite falling behind 3-0, BYU men's tennis clinched a 4-3 comeback win over Pacific as Andrey Goryachkov defeated his singles opponent in West Coast Conference play, Friday.
With the match knotted at 3-3, the sophomore took the first set 6-3 over Daniel Alameh prior to losing the second 1-6. In the third, Goryachkov edged his opponent 7-5, giving the Cougars(6-9, 1-0 WCC) their first conference win.
"It was great to get a win today," BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. "The guys battled hard. Being down after the doubles point, it was great to come back and get the win, especially on my birthday."
The Tigers(7-8, 1-2 WCC) quickly gained momentum, taking the doubles point and then victories at fourth and third singles for the 3-0 lead.
Freshman Jacob Sullivan posted BYU's first point with his win at No. 6 singles in straight sets over Lance Ngo, 7-5, 6-4.
Junior Francis Sargeant followed with the second Cougar win of the day. The captain came back from 5-2 to take the first set in tiebreakers, 7-6(4), over Sem Verbeek. Sargeant then sealed the win, taking the second set 7-5.
With the match at 3-2 in favor of Pacific, BYU needed two wins to complete the improbable comeback. Freshman Matthew Pearce stepped up at fifth singles for the huge comeback. After falling 5-7 in the first set to Alex Hamilton, the Provo native stole the next two 6-3, 6-4, tying the match at three apiece while setting up Goryachkov's match-clinching win at the second slot.
"At this point I don't care how ugly or how pretty the match was--it's important to get in the win column," coach Pearce said. "Right now we have a perfect record in conference."
The Cougars stay in California for their second WCC mathup against Saint Mary's Saturday at noon PDT.
Brigham Young 4, Pacific 3
1. Daniel Alameh/Marlon Brand (Pacific) def. Andrey Goryachkov/Robin Pfister (BYU) 8-7(4)
2. Denis Stolyarov/Sem Verbeek (Pacific) def. Francis Sargeant/Sterling Galli (BYU) 8-6
3. Miguel Diaz/Alex Hamilton (Pacific) def. Jeremy Bourgeois/Matthew Pearce 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Sargeant (BYU) def. Verbeek (Pacific) 7-6(4), 7-5
2. Goryachkov (BYU) def. Alameh (Pacific) 6-3, 1-6, 7-5
3. Diaz (Pacific) def. Bourgeois (BYU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Stolyarov (Pacific) def. Pfister (BYU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Pearce (BYU) def. Hamilton (Pacific) 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
6. Jacob Sullivan (BYU) def. Lance Ngo (Pacific) 7-5, 6-4
Order of finish: 4, 3, 6, 1, 5, 2