BYU went 3-for-3 this weekend.
CAMBRIDGE -- Three more matches brought three more wins for the No. 62 BYU men’s tennis team this weekend. The Cougars ended the last day of the Harvard Kick-Off Tournament soundly defeating DePaul 6-0.
The doubles point was up for grabs after BYU took the pairs match at the No. 3 spot and DePaul earned the win at the No. 1 position. The contest between Evan Urbina and Spencer Smith and their Blue Demon challengers was tight. Eventually, the BYU tandem edged past their opponents in a tiebreak and clinched the first point of the day for the Cougars.
Thomas Shubert led BYU in singles with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Matija Palinic at the No. 1 spot. The Cougars continued to make quick work of DePaul, notching straight-set wins on courts three through six. Urbina, on court two, led Bartosz Jozwiak 6-4, 5-5 before the match was called.
BYU was slated to play No. 67 Mississippi State Saturday in doubles after having completed the singles play Friday. However, the Cougars already clinched the match by winning four of the six singles matches and doubles play between the teams was cancelled.
BYU will return to Provo Feb. 6 to take on UCSB.
1. Jozwiak/Hartman (DePaul) def. Shubert/Mears (BYU) 8-3
2. Urbina/Smith (BYU) def. Perrin/Graetz (DePaul) 9-8 (8)
3. Batrakov/Hwang (BYU) def. Palinic/Grgec (DePaul) 8-3
1. T. Shubert (BYU) def. M. Palinic (DePaul) 6-1, 6-2
2. E. Urbina (BYU) led B. Jozwiak (DePaul) 6-4, 5-5
3. C. Mears (BYU) def. B. Hartman (DePaul) 6-4, 6-3
4. G. Batrakov (BYU) def. A. Graetz (DePaul) 6-4, 6-2
5. R. Warias (BYU) def. M. Hambach (DePaul) 7-5, 7-6 (3)
6. S. Smith (BYU) def. D. Perrin (DePaul) 6-4, 7-6 (5)
1. T. Shubert (BYU) def. No. 42 G. Coupland (MSU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
2. E. Urbina (BYU) def. No. 125 A. Ilyushin (MSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
3. L. Cant (MSU) def. C. Mears (BYU) 7-6 (3), 6-1
4. A. Lastre (MSU) def. G. Batrakov (BYU) 6-4, 6-4
5. R. Warias (BYU) def. C. Doerr (MSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. S. Smith (BYU) def. H. Hakeem (MSU) 6-2, 6-2