Chip Hand won his tenth match in a row at the Air Force Academy on Friday. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
USAFA -- The No. 68 BYU men's tennis team tallied its first conference win and fifth sweep of the season against the Air Force Academy Falcons on Friday.
Nine wins in a row for senior Chip Hand earned him his first match at no. 1 singles on the season. His streak went to 10 with a 6-2, 6-0 win over USAFA's Robby Alexander, improving Hand's singles record on the year improved to 16-6.
Freshman Cassidy Mears won his 11th match on the year and senior Dominik Kaufhold and junior Jonathan Sanchez recorded their 10th singles wins on the season.
The Cougars swept the doubles point to start the match on the right foot. The duo of Hand and Sanchez now lead the team with 11 doubles wins on the season.
BYU's record improves to 10-12 on the season and 1-4 in conference play. The Falcons evened their record at 11-11 and fell to 0-2 in conference play.
There are two matches left on the team's conference schedule and one nonconference match before the team will enter the Mountain West Conference Tournament. The Cougars will face No. 46 San Diego State on Saturday at the Air Force Academy at 10 a.m., weather permitting, or 1 p.m. indoors in the case of inclement weather.
BYU 7, Air Force 0
1. Chip Hand (BYU) def. Robby Alexander, 6-2, 6-0
2. James Ludlow (BYU) def. Brett Rodgers, 6-2, 6-0
3. Dominik Kaufhold (BYU) def. Keith Cronican, 6-7(5), 6-3, 10-5
4. Cassidy Mears (BYU) def. Ryan White, 6-4, 6-3
5. Jonathan Sanchez (BYU) def. Austin Francis, 6-3, 6-3
6. Cale Planck (BYU) def. James Tomlin, 6-1, 6-2
1. Ludlow/Kaufhold (BYU) def. Alexander/White, 8-6
2. Hand/Sanchez (BYU) def. Rodgers/Greg Ferry, 8-1
3. Mears/Michael Eraso (BYU) def. Cronican/Tomlin, 8-5