Daniel Hwang wins singles match against San Diego with a 6-2, 7-5 victory. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
SAN DIEGO -- Ending its southern California tour with a 6-1 loss to No. 58 San Diego Saturday, the No. 38 BYU men’s tennis team prepares for its next competition at the ITA Kick-Off Weekend.
“I was extremely proud of the effort our guys put in today,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen our guys fight and compete the way they did in such a tough environment.”
Daniel Hwang pulled through in singles with BYU's (2-2) only win, beating Nils Schive 6-2, 7-5.
No. 110 Evan Urbina had a tight battle with San Diego’s Nikola Bubnic, losing both sets in tiebreakers 7-6 (5), 7-6 (4). Spencer Smith had his hands full on Court 3, falling 4-6, 7-6 (8), 1-0 (9) to Patrick Pohlmann. Their match was the last to end.
San Diego swept in doubles, with Urbina and Patrick Kawka losing to Dean Jackson and Pohlmann 8-4. Hwang and Georgy Batrakov went to a tiebreaker against Bubnic and Schive, but lost 8-7 (7-3). Smith and Ricardo Campos were defeated 8-1.
“UCLA was a great team yesterday, and I think San Diego is a very good team as well,” Pearce said. “I think they’ll beat a lot of teams this year. We knew that coming into the match. We’re certainly not hanging our heads. I think San Diego could clearly make it to the top 25 as season progresses. I think we’re a very good team as well. The guys continue to work hard. I couldn’t have asked anymore of our guys today.”
On Wednesday, the Cougars head back to Los Angeles to get ready for the ITA Kick-Off Weekend. The Cougars will begin the event by playing Indiana at 11 a.m. MT Friday.
No. 38 BYU vs. San Diego
BYU-1 San Diego-6
1. Dean Jackson (USD) def. Thomas Shubert (BYU) 6-3, 3-2, ret.
2. Nikola Bubnic (USD) def. Evan Urbina (BYU) 7-6(5), 7-6(4)
3. Patrick Pohlmann (USD) def. Spencer Smith (BYU) 4-6, 7-6(8), 1-0(9)
4. Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. Georgy Batrakov (BYU) 7-6(4), 6-2
5. Thibaut Visy (USD) def. Patrick Kawka (BYU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Daniel Hwang (BYU) def. Nils Schive (USD) 6-2, 7-5
Order of finish: 5, 1, 4, 2, 6, 3
1. Jackson/Pohlmann (USD) def. Urbina/Kawka (BYU) 8-4
2. Bubnic/Schive (USD) def. Hwang/Batrakov (BYU) 8-7(7-3)
3. Spinosa/Visy (USD) def. Smith/Campos (BYU) 8-1
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2