No. 106 sophomore Patrick Kawka earned BYUâ€™s second point of the day with his 6-3, 6-3, victory over Marco Camuzzo at the No. 3 position. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
MALIBU, Calif. – The No. 49 BYU men’s tennis team endured another tough loss as it fell to No. 52 Cal Poly, 4-2, in the consolation match of the ITA Kick-off Weekend Saturday in Malibu, Calif.
“It’s been a tough weekend for us,” BYU coach Brad Pearce said. “We’ve ended up on the losing end against two good, solid teams in Vanderbilt and Cal Poly. Almost 50% of our team is freshmen. We need to get them more experienced and get some wins under their belts to boost their confidence. We’ve taken some tough losses and its hurt our confidence a bit. We’re looking to get back on a winning track at home this next weekend.”
Only dropping three games at the No. 2 position, senior Spencer Smith, was the first off the court for the Cougars (1-4), defeating Brian McPhee in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2. The victory pushed Smith’s record to 16-3.
No. 106 sophomore Patrick Kawka earned BYU’s second point of the day with his 6-3, 6-3 victory over Marco Camuzzo at the No. 3 position.
At the No. 1 position, No. 43 senior Georgy Batrakov fell to No. 22 Andre Dome, 6-2, 6-2.
The Cougars dropped the other two singles matches in straight sets to finish with the 4-2 loss. The match between freshman Francis Sargeant and Jurgen DeJager was not played because the Mustangs (1-3) secured the win with four points.
Despite being the last off the court in doubles play, Cullimore and freshman David Doehring earned the lone BYU doubles victory. In their first match playing together, Cullimore and Doehring topped DeLager and Jordan Kepler 8-4.
The Cougars return home next weekend for a doubleheader Feb. 3 against Idaho State and Montana State at noon and 5:30 p.m., respectively.
No. 52 Cal Poly: 4
No. 49 BYU: 2
1. No. 22 Andre Dome (CALPOLY) def. No. 43 Georgy Batrakov (BYU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Brian McPhee (CALPOLY) 6-1, 6-2
3. #106 Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Marco Camuzzo (CALPOLY) 6-3, 6-3
4. Jordan Bridge (CALPOLY) def. No. 67 Keaton Cullimore (BYU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Jurgen DeJager (CALPOLY) vs. Francis Sargeant (BYU) no result
6. Sebastian Bell (CALPOLY) def. Travis Fillmore (BYU) 6-3, 6-3
1. Jordan Bridge/Brian McPhee (CALPOLY) def. Georgy Batrakov/Patrick Kawka (BYU) 8-4
2. Andre Dome/Marco Camuzzo (CALPOLY) def. Spencer Smith/Francis Sargeant (BYU) 8-5
3. Keaton Cullimore/David Doehring (BYU) def. Jurgen DeJager/Jordan Kepler (CALPOLY) 8-4
Cal Poly 1-3; National ranking #52
BYU 1-4; National ranking #49
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,4,1,3,6)