(Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
SAN DIEGO – After reaching the semifinals in its first West Coast Conference Tennis Championships, the No. 4 seed BYU men’s tennis team fell, 4-1, to No. 1 seed Pepperdine Friday.
The Waves (21-6), who are ranked No. 7 in the ITA national polls, grabbed the doubles point from the Cougars (16-9) to take a 1-0 lead. Pepperdine topped senior Georgy Batrakov and sophomore Patrick Kawka on Court 1, 8-4, before freshman Keaton Cullimore and senior Michael Eraso dropped an 8-3 decision at the No. 3 position. The No. 2 singles match was not finished due to the Waves winning on two of the three courts.
Pepperdine continued to make waves in singles play, taking wins on courts 3, 4 and 5 to secure its spot in the championship match. Alex Llompart defeated Kawka 6-2, 6-3 on Court 3 before Sargeant fell on Court 5, 7-5, 6-0. Playing at No. 4 singles, Cullimore was ousted 7-5, 6-3.
Smith earned the Cougars' lone win of the day, grabbing a 6-3, 6-3 decision over Finn Tearney at the No. 2 singles position. The remaining matches were not finished because of the Waves' clinched win.
The winner of the Tennis Championships will receive an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. Follow tournament updates at WCC Tennis Tournament Central.
Men's Semifinal Match
No. 1 Pepperdine def. No. 4 BYU, 4-1
1. Finn Tearney/Alex Llompart (PEP) def. Georgy Batrakov/Patrick Kawka (BYU) 8-4
2. Sebastian Fanselow/Jenson Turner (PEP) vs. Francis Sargeant/Spencer Smith (BYU) DNF
3. Hugh Clarke/David Sofaer (PEP) def. Keaton Cullimore/Michael Eraso (BYU) 8-3
1. Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) vs. Georgy Batrakov (BYU) DNF
2. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Finn Tearney (PEP) 6-3, 6-3
3. Alex Llompart (PEP) def. Patrick Kawka (BYU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Mousheg Hovhanisyan (PEP) def. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) 7-5, 6-3
5. Hugh Clarke (PEP) def. Francis Sargeant (BYU) 7-5, 6-0
6. Jenson Turner (PEP) vs. Michael Eraso (BYU) DNF