No. 110 Evan Urbina defeated his Indaiana opponent in straight sets Friday. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
LOS -- It was a disappointing day for the No. 43 BYU men’s tennis team, who fell to No. 46 Indiana in a 4-3 heartbreaker at the ITA Kick-Off Weekend Friday.
After Indiana secured the doubles point with two 8-4 wins, the teams headed into a rough battle in singles.
No. 110 Evan Urbina beat Jeremy Langer in straight sets on Court 1, putting up the Cougars’ first point of the day (6-4, 6-3). On Court 3, Spencer Smith split sets with Santiago Gruter before taking the match 1-6, 6-1, 6-4. Georgy Batrakov also took down his Indiana opponent, beating Claes Goransson 7-6, 6-4 and giving BYU its three points.
Hoosiers Isade Juneau and Steven Vogl tied up the match with wins against Cougars No. 88 Patrick Kawka and Daniel Hwang, respectively to bring the score to 3-3.
Senior Thomas Shubert was forced to withdraw from his singles match against Josh MacTaggart due to an injury, giving the Hoosiers the point and the victory. The match had gone to a third set before Shubert retired, with MacTaggart only in the lead by one game (6-7, 6-3, 5-4).
The Cougars will play No. 52 San Diego State Saturday at 10 a.m. PT.
No. 43 BYU vs. No. 46 Indiana
1. MacTaggart/Vogl (IU) def. Kawaka/Urbina (BYU) 8-4
2. Gruter/Langer (IU) def. #44 Shubert/Smith (BYU) 8-4
3. Batrakov/Hwang (BYU) vs. Goransson/Juneau (IU) 5-3 susp.
Order of finish: 1, 2
1. #110 Evan Urbina (BYU) def. Jeremy Langer (IU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Josh MacTaggart (IU) def. Thomas Shubert (BYU) 6-7, 6-3, 5-4 ret. (inj)*
3. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Santiago Gruter (IU) 1-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Georgy Batrakov (BYU) def. Claes Goransson (IU) 7-6, 6-4
5. Isade Juneau (IU) def. #88 Patrick Kawka (BYU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Steven Vogl (IU) def. Daniel Hwang (BYU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 5, 1, 4, 3, 6, 2*