Georgy Batrakov finished first in doubles and singles, recording two wins for the Cougars. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
Click to watch the video.
PROVO -- Recording another sweep and maintaining a nine-match winning streak, the No. 38 BYU men’s tennis team finished off the BYU Invitational with a 6-0 win against No. 48 UNC Wilmington Saturday.
“Everybody has had good, tough matches,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “We were fortunate to have good wins against two good teams. We’ve been going hard and strong this month. Now the guys will get a much-needed day off.”
BYU (13-4) took back-to-back doubles wins to secure the doubles point. Georgy Batrakov and Thomas Shubert once again finished first with an 8-3 win against Seahawks Kosta Blank and Illia Ziamstou. Spencer Smith and Roman Warias finished off doubles by defeating Michael Periera and Rafael Aita 8-6.
Batrakov continued his success in a quick 6-1, 6-1 defeat of Kinshuk Sharma to start off singles. Shortly after, Smith recorded a 6-2, 6-2 victory on Court 3 against Chris Cooprider.
Shubert battled through a tough tiebreaker his first set, but dominated the second for the win against Blank 7-6 (3), 6-2. The senior’s point put BYU ahead of UNCW (14-4) 4-0. After the match was won, Warias finished his Court 5 match against Ziamtsou 6-1, 7-5 and Evan Urbina pushed the score to 6-0 with a 6-4, 7-6 (3) win against Pereira.
BYU was scheduled to play College of William and Mary at 5 p.m., but the match was cancelled due to W&M injuries sustained in the team’s previous match.
“We had four very good teams here this weekend and we really appreciated everyone working with the adjustments due to weather and schedule changing,” Pearce said.
Saturday, the Cougars begin conference play with a match against rival TCU at 11 a.m. at the BYU Outdoor Tennis Courts, weather permitting.
No. 38 BYU vs. No. 48 UNC Wilmington
1. Kawka/Urbina (BYU) vs. Cooprider/Sharma (UNCW) 6-6 susp.
2. Batrakov/Shubert (BYU) def. Blank/Ziamtsou (UNCW) 8-3
3. Smith/Warias (BYU) def. Aita/Pereira (UNCW) 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 3
1. Evan Urbina (BYU) def. Michael Pereira (UNCW) 6-4, 7-6 (3)
2. Georgy Batrakov (BYU) def. Kinshuk Sharma (UNCW) 6-1, 6-1
3. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Chris Cooprider (UNCW) 6-2, 6-2
4. No. 101 Patrick Kawka (BYU) vs. Rafael Aita (UNCW) 6-1, 3-6, 5-5 susp.
5. Thomas Shubert (BYU) def. Kosta Blank (UNCW) 7-6 (3), 6-2
6. Roman Warias (BYU) def. Illia Ziamtsou (UNCW) 6-1, 7-5
Order of finish: 2, 3, 5, 6, 1
William and Mary vs. UC Santa Barbara
1. Guthrie/Vidal (W&M) def. Konigsfeldt/Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) 8-5
2. Recknagel/Forget (UCSB) def. Banks/Orre (W&M) 8-5
3. Whiteford/Andersson (W&M) def. Therp/Jurgensen (UCSB) 8-6
1. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) vs. Anton Andersson (W&M) 6-1, 0-1 susp.
2. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) def. Ben Guthrie (W&M) 6-3, 6-0
3. Jamie Whiteford (W&M) def. Taylor Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) 5-7, 7-6, 6-1
4. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def. Sebastien Vidal (W&M) 7-6, 7-6
5. Max Glenn (UCSB) def. Ilja Orre (W&M) 6-4, 6-3
6. Philip Therp (UCSB) def. John Banks (W&M) 6-3, 6-7, 6-1