Thomas Shubert recorded BYU's first doubles win and put up BYU's fifth point with a singles win. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
PROVO -- Adding another sweep to the season's victories, the No. 35 BYU men's tennis team took victory from the University of the Pacific with six straight-set singles matches after winning the doubles point Saturday.
"We focused on every guy competing in every position," BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. "We're getting better every match. What's gratifying to see is everyone is pulling together. The guys come to practice and work hard and are motivated. We're seeing that on the court."
The win was BYU's seventh consecutive win and extended their home record to 6-0.
Georgy Batrakov and Thomas Shubert put up another win in their six-match doubles winning streak, only allowing Pacific’s Alex Golding and Fernando Ristow one game in their 8-1 victory. On Court 1, Evan Urbina and Patrick Kawka fought neck-and-neck with Ivan Castro and Lance Dugan, taking the match to a tiebreaker. The Cougars (11-4) came out conquerors with a 7-2???win, followed by Spencer Smith and Roman Warias winning 8-6 on Court 3 moments later.
Urbina got a quick lead on Krzyszkowski on Court 1, taking the first set 6-0 and finishing off the match with a 6-2 win in the second. Smith put BYU ahead 3-0 with his 6-3, 6-3 win against Castro. No. 101 Kawka clinched the match with a win in the second set tiebreaker 6-3, 7-6.
Batrakov brought BYU’s fifth point with his 6-3, 6-1 battle against Gramma. The win pushed Batrakov's singles winning streak to 10 matches. Shubert and Warias completed the sweep with a 6-2, 6-2 win on Court 5 and a 7-6, 7-6 win on Court 6, respectively.
Friday, the Cougars begin their BYU Invitational with an 8:30 a.m. match against UC Santa Barbara. The Cougars will also face UNC Wilmington at 3 p.m. Friday and William and Mary's at 1 p.m. Saturday.
No. 35 BYU vs. Pacific
1. Kawka/Urbina (BYU) def. Castro/Dugan (UP) 9-8
2. Batrakov/Shubert (BYU) def. Ristow/Golding (UP) 8-1
3. Smith/Warias (BYU) def. Gramma/Krzyszkowski (UP) 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Evan Urbina (Byu) def. Tomasz Krzyszkowski (UP) 6-0, 6-2
2. Georgy Batrakov (BYU) def. Artem Gramma (UP) 6-3, 6-1
3. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Ivan Castro (UP) 6-3, 6-3
4. No. 101 Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Fernando Ristow (UP) 6-3, 7-6
5. Thomas Shubert (BYU) def. Lance Dugan (UP) 6-2, 6-2
6. Roman Warias (BYU) def. Alex Golding (UP) 7-5, 7-6
Order of finish: 1, 3, 4, 2, 5, 6