Captain Francis Sargeant defeated his opponent in a loss to Denver, Saturday. (Photo by BYU Photo/Jaren Wilkey)
DENVER—Junior Francis Sargeant
and Sophomore Andrey Goryachkov
edged out their opponents, but No. 49 BYU men’s tennis fell short against No. 54 Denver, 5-2, Saturday.
The Cougars (4-4) fell to the regional rival Pioneers (3-1) in their fourth match this season against a nationally ranked opponent.
"It will be nice to have a full week of practice and be at home after three consecutive weeks on the road," BYU head coach Brad Pearce
said. "We've experienced some adversity in losing Juan Canales
for the rest of the season, but we'll regroup and focus on helping each of our young players to improve. I was happy for Francis (Sargeant), who beat the No. 1 player in the Mountain Region last night and for Andrey (Goryachkov), who won at second singles. We're looking forward to Boise State on Saturday."
Sargeant defeated national No. 86 Henry Craig in a back-and-forth match, 6-4 (13-15), 5-6, 10-7. Goryachkov rallied in his match, winning the final two sets against Alex Gasson, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4.
Freshmen Matthew Pearce
and Robin Pfister
both fell to their opponents in three sets. Pearce took the first set against Alex Clinkenbeard before falling in the final two sets, 1-6, 6-1, 6-4.
Pfister also came out in front after the first set, but he could not keep the momentum going his way, falling to Diogo Rocha, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4. Fellow freshmen Aidan Carrazedo
and Jeremy Bourgeois
were bested in their matches, both losing in two sets.
BYU returns home against No. 44 Boise State, Saturday at 5:30 p.m. MST.
Feb. 1, 2014 at Denver, Colo.
#54 Denver 5, #49 Brigham Young 2
1. SARGEANT, Francis (BYU) def. #86 Henry Craig (DU) 6-4 (13-15), 5-6, 10-7
2. GORYACHKOV, Andrey (BYU) def. Alex Gasson (DU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Diogo Rocha (DU) def. PFISTER, Robin (BYU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Yannik James (DU) def. BOURGEOIS, Jeremy (BYU) 6-5, 6-3
5. Alex Clinkenbeard (DU) def. PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) 1-6, 6-1, 6-4
6. Aidan Talcott (DU) def. CARRAZEDO, Aidan (BYU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Henry Craig/Diogo Rocha (DU) def. SARGEANT, Francis/GALLI, Sterling (BYU) 6-2
2. Alex Gasson/Yannik James (DU) def. PFISTER, Robin/BOURGEOIS, Jeremy (BYU) 6-0
3. Fabio Biasion/Alex Clinkenbeard (DU) def. PEARCE, Matthew/GORYACHKOV, Andrey (BYU) 5-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (6,4,5,2,1,3)