BOISE -- The No. 59 BYU men's tennis team ended its week-long road trip on Saturday by losing to No. 45 Fresno State 4-3. The loss, which is the fourth suffered by BYU this week, drops the Cougars to 7-9 on the season.
The Bulldogs came out strong and captured the doubles point by winning all three doubles matches.
"Fresno State came out ready to play and really overpowered us in doubles," said BYU head coach Jim Osborne. "We need to really focus on winning the doubles point. That is the key for us this season."
In singles, Erik Nyman came up with a big win over Hector Almada 6-3, 6-2 at the No. 1 spot. Jeff Olsen and Anton Rudjuk were the other Cougars to win in singles. Olsen beat Andy Sinn 6-1, 3-6, 7-5 at No. 5 and Rudjuk defeated Sergiu Modoc 6-3, 6-4 at No. 6.
The Cougars will be at home next weekend as they begin conference play in Provo. They will be playing Utah on Thursday, San Diego State on Friday and UNLV on Saturday. All three matches will begin at noon.
No. 45 Fresno State 4, No. 59 BYU 3
Doubles (Fresno State wins point)
1. Almada / Modoc (FS) def. No. 18 Lozano / Nyman (BYU) 8-6
2. Shearer / Suta (FS) def. Lechuga / Rudjuk (BYU) 8-2
3. Alex Krohn / Sinn (FS) def. Medina / Olsen (BYU) 8-5
1. Erik Nyman (BYU) def. Hector Almada (FS) 6-3, 6-2
2. Stefan Suta (FS) def. Carlos Lozano (BYU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Greg Shearer (FS) def. Jose Lechuga (BYU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Marc Schaerer (FS) def. Alonso Medina (BYU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Jeff Olsen (BYU) def. Andy Sinn (FS) 6-1, 3-6, 7-5
6. Anton Rudjuk (BYU) def. Sergiu Modoc (FS) 6-3, 6-4
Records: Fresno State (10-6), BYU (7-9)