Freshman Spencer Smith gives BYU a 2-0 lead over Utah with his number five singles win. (Photo by Jaren Wilkey/BYU Photo)
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (Apr. 24, 2010) In their final regular season match, the No. 33 BYU men’s tennis team defeated instate rival Utah 6-1 to capture the 2010 MWC Regular Season Crown with an undefeated 6-0 league record, Saturday.
The win extends the team’s record to 21-5 overall, and gives the Cougars another point in the 2010 Deseret First Duel.
“We’re thrilled with the win today, “ said head coach Brad Pearce. “There was a lot on the line in this match and our guys hung tough and came through beautifully. This was a great overall team victory.”
After taking an early 1-0 lead winning the doubles point, BYU freshman Spencer Smith extended the lead to 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-3 straight sets victory over Utah senior Timmy Allin at number five singles.
“Spencer played very well for us defeating a very good Ute senior, finished first in singles play,” added coach Pearce.
Another straight sets victory at the number three spot gave the Cougars a 3-0 advantage with sophomore Georgy Batrakov defeating Utah’s Alex Golding 6-1, 7-6 (7-6). Senior Cassidy Mears sealed the Cougar victory at the number four singles position where he battled to a three-set win over the Utes Benito Suriano 3-6, 6-4, 6-3.
“Cassidy battled back after being down in the first set and won the match for us,” Pearce said.
The last two singles matches went in favor of BYU’s Evan Urbina and Daniel Hwang who won at the number two and number six positions.
Utah’s lone win was at number one singles where Phillip Eilers beat Thomas Shubert 3-6, 7-6 (7-6), 6-3.
The Cougars next compete in the 2010 MWC Men’s Tennis Championships on April 28-May 1 in Las Vegas. By clinching the regular season title with a perfect 6-0 record, BYU gets a first round bye and will not play until the semifinals on Fri. Apr. 30. The winner of the league tournament receives an automatic entrance into the NCAA Championships.
No. 33 BYU- 6
1. Thomas Shubert/Cassidy Mears (BY) def. Phillip Eilers/Alex Golding (UT) 8-6
2. Daniel Hwang/Georgy Batrakov (BY) def. Timmy Allin/Jason Smits (UT) 8-5
3. Stephen Jacobs/Benito Suriano (UT) def. Spencer Smith/Evan Urbina (BY) 9-7
1. Phillip Eilers (UT) def. Thomas Shubert (BY) 3-6, 7-6 (7-6), 6-3
2. Evan Urbina (BY) def. Jason Smits (UT) 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
3. Georgy Batrakov (BY) def. Alex Golding (UT) 6-1, 7-6 (7-6)
4. Cassidy Mears (BY) def. Benito Suriano (UT) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Spencer Smith (BY) def. Timmy Allin (UT) 6-2, 6-3
6. Daniel Hwang (BY) def. Stephen Jacobs (UT) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3