After a big win on Thursday over Loyola Marymount, BYU was defeated by UC Irvine 4-3 on Friday.
BYU head coach Jim Osborne said although the loss was tough, he was generally pleased with how things went.
"It usually takes us a few matches to get things worked out," Osborne said. "We knew coming down here that we were going to face some great teams. UC Irvine came out ready to play today and they were able to get the win."
BYU lost the doubles point for the second straight match, but Lozano and Nyman were able to beat 11th ranked Jonathan Endrikat and Brian Morton 9-8 (5) in a close match. In singles, only Lozano, Jose Lechuga and Anton Rudjuk were able to win, causing the Cougars to come up one match short of the victory.
BYU finishes up its California road trip on Saturday when they play last year's national champions, Southern California.
UC Irvine def. No. 64 BYU, Final Score 4-3
1. #7 Lozano/Nyman (BYU) def. #11 Endrikat/Morton (UCI) 9-8(5)
2. Biorkman/Williams (UCI) def. Rudjuk/Lechuga (BYU) 9-7
3. Korac/O'Connor (UCI) def. Olsen/Medina (BYU) 8-1
1. Jonathan Endrikat (UCI) def. Erik Nyman (BYU) 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
2. #106 Carlos Lozano (BYU) def. Zoran Korac (UCI) 6-4, 6-1
3. Jose Lechuga (BYU) def. Sean O'Connor (UCI) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
4. Anton Rudjuk (BYU) def. Brian Morton (UCI) 6-2, 7-6
5. Greg Biorkman (UCI) def. Alonzo Medina (BYU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Renouk Wijemanne (UCI) def. Jeff Olsen (BYU) 6-2, 7-6