Sophomore Cassidy Mears' singles win contributed to BYU's 6-1 victory over Azusa Pacific on Monday. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
AZUSA -- The BYU men's tennis team racked up another road win on Monday as it defeated Azusa Pacific 6-1, handing the APU Cougars their first loss on the season. BYU returns home with a 6-2 record, the program's best start since the 2000 season.
"I'm really pleased with how we bounced back after our loss to [Loyola Marymount]," said BYU head coach Brad Pearce. "Our team unity today was the best I've seen it this whole season. We had a complete effort. Not only did we play well, but our team spirit and communication was excellent."
The Cougars won the doubles point after securing wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions, with Cassidy Mears and Jonathan Sanchez posting an 8-3 win over Matthijs Bolsius and Patrick Kur. BYU switched things up with the other two pairs, as freshmen Daniel Hwang and Thomas Shubert came away with an 8-4 win after competing together for the first time this season.
"We took a fresh look at some new combinations today," said Pearce. "I was really pleased with Shubert and Hwang's performance. We're likely to see more of them together."
In singles play, Azusa Pacific's lone singles point came at the hands of Bolsius, knocking off Sanchez in 3 sets (6-3, 3-6, 6-4) at No. 1. BYU refused to give up any more points, however, winning the remaining five singles matches.
Shubert's hard-fought play kept his match from going into a third set, defeating Kur 7-5, 7-5, playing at No. 3 singles, Mears hung on for the 6-2, 7-5 win. Hwang, Evan Urbina and Tom Young won in relatively easy straight sets to clinch the team win.
Up next the Cougars travel to take on the University of Denver on Feb. 23.
Brigham Young 7, Azusa Pacific 2
1. Matthijs Bolsius (APU) def. Jonathan Sanchez (BYU), 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
2. Thomas Shubert (BYU) def. Patrick Kur (APU), 7-5, 7-5
3. Cassidy Mears (BYU) def. Mathias Weber (APU), 6-2, 7-5
4. Evan Urbina (BYU) def. Art Fatkhiev (APU), 6-2, 6-1
5. Daniel Hwang (BYU) def. Ronald Chow (APU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Tom Young (BYU) def. Daniel Moore (APU), 6-1, 6-4
1. Mears/Sanchez (BYU) def. Bolsius/Kur (APU), 8-3
2. Hwang/Shubert (BYU) def. Fatkhiev/Weber (APU), 8-4
3. Chow/Moore (APU) def. Urbina/T. Young (BYU), 9-8 (8-6)