Freshman Spencer Smith earned a singles win for the Cougars against UCSB.
SANTA BARBARA -- In the second meeting of the season between No. 31 BYU and UC Santa Barbara, the Gauchos avenged their earlier loss with a 4-3 upset in California Friday.
The Cougars’ doubles pair of Cassidy Mears and Spencer Smith fell 8-3 at the No. 2 position. Juniors Evan Urbina and Daniel Hwang notched a win on court three at 8-5. At the No. 1 spot, Georgy Batrakov and Thomas Shubert fought hard but dropped a 9-7 decision to give the Gauchos the first point of the day.
BYU and UCSB split the singles matches with each team recording three wins. Urbina, and Smith earned straight-set victories for the Cougars on courts two and five, respectively. Batrakov overcame Matthieu Forget in a three-set battle for the third BYU win. The Gauchos took the remaining matches in straight sets to slip past the Cougars 4-3.
Saturday, the team will try to bounce back against Loyola Marymount. First serve is set for 9:30 a.m. PT at the LMU Tennis Center in Los Angeles. Live stats will be available for the match against Loyola Marymount. To follow along, click here.
No. 31 BYU-3
1. Scott Hohenstein/Evan Jurgensen (UCSB) def. Shubert/Batrakov 9-7
2. Lucas Sudow/Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Mears/Smith 8-3
3. Urbina/Hwang def. Chavez-Goggin/Caledonia (UCSB) 8-5
1. P. Therp (UCSB) def. T. Shubert (BYU) 6-2, 6-2
2. E. Urbina (BYU) def. L. Sudow (UCSB) 6-3, 6-4
3. B. Recknagel (UCSB) def. C. Mears (BYU) 7-5, 6-2
4. G. Batrakov (BYU) def. M. Forget (UCSB) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
5. S. Smith (BYU) def. T. Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) 6-2, 6-2
6. M. Glenn (UCSB) def. M. Eraso (BYU) 6-1, 6-4