Milton F. Hartvigsen Staff Bio | Dean of the BYU College of Physical Education

Milton F. Hartvigsen

1980 Hall of Fame Inductee

 

Milton Hartvigsen served as dean of the BYU College of Physical Education from 1956­1974. During that time he began the Community Education program, and BYU became the Rocky Mountain Regional Center for Community Education. The BYU Youth Leadership Department was formed, and the Human Performance Laboratory established. In addition, the dance program was expanded and the International Folk Dancers and Ballroom Dance Team developed.

Under his direction, additions were made to the east and west ends of the Smith Fieldhouse...the Richards Building and the Marriott Center were constructed­two of the most impressive facilities of their kind in the country...Cougar Stadium was built...and the baseball diamond and several playing and practice fields were added.

Dean Hartvigsen helped the BYU athletic program grow from a small, unknown group of teams to a national sports power. For 20 years he was a representative to the Mountain States Conference and Western Athletic Conference. He served on the NCAA Council for seven years, and on the NCAA Coordinating Committee for three years.

A BYU Professor of the Year and recipient of the 1973 Karl G. Maeser Award for Teaching Excellence, Dr. Hartvigsen retired in 1974.