(Photo by BYU Photo)
PROVO, Utah--After a disappointing road loss at Santa Clara, BYU women’s basketball (6-6, 0-1) looks to get back to winning in its next West Coast Conference game.
The Cougars host LMU (5-7, 0-1) on Saturday, December 31, at 2 p.m. MT. The game will be televised live on BYUtv and simulcast on BYU Radio.
BYU Game Notes vs. LMU
LMU Game Notes at BYU
BYU at a glance
Three BYU players are scoring in double figures for the Cougars led by junior guard Cassie Broadhead with her team-best 16.8 points per game. Senior guard Makenzi Pulsipher follows with 12.5 points. Senior forward Kalani Purcell is next, recording 12.0 points and a team-best 9.4 rebounds per contest.
As a team, BYU is scoring 63.9 points per game while shooting 40.8 percent from the field, 31.8 percent from behind the 3-point line and 69.4 percent from the charity stripe. The Cougars pull down 36.0 rebounds a game.
In this year’s West Coast Conference preseason poll chosen by the coaches, BYU, the defending regular season conference champion, was selected to finish second in the league race behind Gonzaga. Purcell and Pulsipher were named to the Preseason All-Conference team.
• Head coach: Jeff Judkins (Utah, ‘78), 16th season
• Team’s leading scorer: #20 C. Broadhead 16.8 ppg
• Team’s leading rebounder: #32 K. Purcell, 9.4 rpg
• Team’s assists leader: #32 K. Purcell, 4.1 apg
• Team’s steals leader: #20 C. Broadhead 2.2 spg
• Team’s blocks leader: #20 C. Broadhead, 1.1 bpg
LMU at a glance
LMU dropped its first league game at Saint Mary’s, 59-64. They come to Provo with a 5-7, 0-1 record and are 3-3 on the season when playing on the road.
The Lions return nine letterwinners and three starters from last year’s team that compiled an 11-20, 6-1 record and finished tied for seventh place in the WCC race.
Jackie Johnson leads LMU in points and in rebounds with a double-double 15.8 points and 10.3 rebounds. Teammate Cheyanne Wallace follows with 13.6 points while Leslie Lopez-Wood chips in 11.6 points a contest.
The Lions are scoring 64.5 points per game while shooting 39.6 percent from the field, 32.8 percent from 3-point range and 64.9 percent from the free-throw line. LMU grabs 37.8 rebounds a game.
• Head coach: Charity Elliott (Southwest Missouri State, ‘92), Fifth season
• Team’s leading scorer: #43 J. Johnson, 15.8 ppg
• Team’s leading rebounder: #43 J. Johnson, 10.3 rpg
• Team’s assists leader: #11 A. Velasco, 5.8 apg
• Team’s steals leader: #43 J. Johnson, 2.1 spg
• Team’s blocks leader: #43 J. Johnson, 2.5 bpg
BYU leads the all-time series against LMU 12 to 1. In Provo, the Lions have a 0-5 mark. Head coach Jeff Judkins is 9-1 vs. LMU. During last year’s league race, BYU swept the series over the Lions
The Cougars continue WCC play at the Marriott Center hosting Saint Mary’s on Jan. 5 at 7 p.m. MT. The game between BYU and SMC will be seen live on BYUtv and simulcast on BYU Radio.