(Photo by Jaren Wilkey/BYU Photo)
With the 65-49 road win at New Mexico on Tuesday, the Cougar women’s basketball team (22-7, 14-1) clinched the 2011 MWC regular season title.
BYU has one remaining game traveling to Laramie for a Sat. Mar. 5 battle against Wyoming (22-6, 12-3). Tip off is at 2 p.m.
2010-11 STATS SUMMARY
- Shooting from field: (.429, 762-1778)
- Shooting from three-point line: (.338, 211-625)
- Shooting from free-throw line: (.674, 275-408)
- Average points per game: 69.3
- Average rebounds per game: 38.6
- Average assists per game: 19.3
- Average steals per game: 8.3
- Average blocks per game: 4.1
- Average turnovers per game: 14.3
-The Cougars are led in scoring by senior guard Mindy Bonham who averages 12.3 points and 3.5 rebounds per game. Senior forward Coriann Fraughton follows averaging 11.7 points and a team high 7.4 rebounds per contest.
-Bonham also tops the list in assists with a total of 154. She also has the team’s best free throw percentage at .780, 46-59.
-Haley Hall has the most steals on the team with 55.
-Freshman center Jennifer Hamson is tops in the field goal percentage category at .576, 72-125. She also has the most blocks on the team with 40.
- The BYU bench has outscored its opponents 646 to 387 as of 3/2/11. The most points scored by the Cougar bench to date are 44 in the win over BYU-Hawaii on 12/3/10. The most bench points from an opponent on the year are 31 recorded by BYU-Hawaii.
- BYU’s reserves are outrebounding their opponents 403 to 288 as of 3/2/11. The most rebounds by the Cougar bench are 28 vs. Utah State on 11/23/10. The most boards by the opponent bench are Utah State with 24.
ABOUT NEXT MWC OPPONENT
UNIVERSITY OF WYOMING
Wyoming is in third place in the latest MWC standings with a (22-6, 12-3) record. They beat San Diego State 63-50 on Wed. Mar. 2 in San Diego. For the Cowgirls there are two players scoring in double figures with senior Aubrey Vandiver leading the way averaging 18.6 points and a team high 9.2 boards a contest. Hillary Carlson follows contributing 16.8 points per game while grabbing 7.1 rebounds. Another senior, Jade Kennedy has the most assists on the team with a total of 106. Vandiver leads in the steals category with 38. Head coach Joe Legerski is in his eighth season with the women’s basketball program.
Overall Series Record: BYU leads 49-21
BYU Record in Provo: 19-8
BYU Record in Laramie: 20-13
BYU Record in Neutral Sites: 3-0
BYU Record under Jeff Judkins: 13-8
Team Flight: Delta #4518 departs Salt Lake City, Fri. Mar. 4 at 12:40 p.m., arriving in Denver at 2:06 p.m. The team then takes a bus to Laramie.
Team Flight: Frontier F9 1076 departs Denver, Sat. Mar. 5 at 9:10 p.m., arriving in Salt Lake City at 10:34 p.m.
Team Hotel: Hampton Inn, 3715 E. Grand Ave., 307-742-0125, 307-742-0126, fax.
After finishing the 2011 league race on the road, the team heads to Las Vegas for the 2011 MWC Women’s Basketball Championships from the Thomas & Mack Center Mar. 8-12. The tournament winner receives an automatic bid into the 2011 NCAA tournament.