Senior Kristina Doerr won a singles and doubles match Friday. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
TEMPE -- It was a tough beginning to the weekend for the BYU women's tennis team. The Cougars fell 4-3 to Louisville in Arizona Friday. With the loss, the squad falls to 4-8 on the season.
"It was another down to the wire, tough match," BYU coach Joey Johnson said.
BYU tallied a doubles sweep to begin the match. McCall Jones and Kristina Doerr defeated their Cardinal challengers 8-2 on court one. Elle Carney and Chie Hayasaka recorded a win at the No. 2 spot while Romina Nedakovic and Liza Ezhova completed the sweep at the No. 3 position.
"We played quite well in doubles," Johnson said. "We had the momentum going into singles play."
Jones extended her winning streak to eight with a straight-set victory over Sarah Miller on court one. The rest of the BYU lineup was unable to keep up, falling at positions three through six to give Louisville the win. Doerr was the only other Cougar to notch a victory on the day. The senior easily took the first set 6-0 but dropped the second 6-2. She fought back to win the third, also at 6-2, and ended the match at 4-3.
"Louisville had steady, solid singles players in the back of the lineup," Johnson said. "Tomorrow is another opportunity to turn it around so we're going to get out there and go for it."
Saturday BYU will continue play against No. 18 Arizona State at 10 a.m. The match will take place at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
1. Doerr/Jones (BYU) def. Brown/Harris (UofL) 8-2
2. Carney/Hayasaka (BYU) def. Noe/Villajuan (UofL) 8-6
3. Ezhova/Nedakovic (BYU) def. Mandry/Van Aerde (UofL) 8-5
1. No. 52 M. Jones (BYU) def. S. Miller (UofL) 6-2, 6-1
2. K. Doerr (BYU) def. A. Harris (UofL) 6-0, 2-6, 6-2
3. M. Brown (UofL) def. R. Nedakovic (BYU) 6-0, 6-4
4. K. Mandry (UofL) def. C. Hayasaka (BYU) 6-1, 6-1
5. A. Irvin (UofL) def. E. Carney (BYU) 6-3, 6-2
6. S. Villajuan (UofL) def. L. Ezhova (BYU) 6-1, 6-1