PROVO -- The No. 73 BYU women’s tennis team suffered another heartbreaking loss at home Friday, falling 5-2 to No. 39 Boise State.
“We played a little better than yesterday in singles,” head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “On almost all the courts, we were right there at the beginning.”
Elizaveta Ezhova and Elle Carney took BYU’s only win in doubles play, stretching the match out to an 8-6 victory against Elyse Edwards and Sonia Klamczynzka. Broncos Lauren Megale and Marlena Pietzuch defeated No. 53 Price and Callie Craig on Court 1 8-3, while Stephanie Jasper and Sandy Vo beat Cougars Aubrey Paul and Desiree Tran 8-3.
Price wouldn’t allow Megale another victory and despite losing the first set, came back for a 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 revenge on Court 1.
“I’m really proud of Megan [Price],” Spencer said. “It’s hard to always play No. 1, especially after losing yesterday. The match started off slow, but Megan fought hard and came back. On the other courts, I think we played a little bit scared.”
Freshman Tran gave BYU its second point, also holding strong through a three-set match to defeat Pietzuch 6-3, 0-6, 6-3.
The rest of the Cougars had a tough time with the Broncos. Carney fell 7-6, 6-0 to Klamczynzka and Boise State’s Jasper defeated Craig 0-6, 6-4, 6-1. Ezhova and Paul also lost to their respective opponents. Paul’s loss was her first of the season.
“We need to keep our heads up, learn from this match and get ready for Denver,” Spencer said.
The team plays Denver Friday at 6 p.m. in Colorado.
No. 73 BYU vs. No. 39 Boise State
1. L. Megale/M. Pietzuch (BSU) def. C. Craig/M. Price (BYU) 8-3
2. E. Carney/E. Ezhova (BYU) def. E. Edwards/S. Klamczynzka (BSU) 8-6
3. S. Jasper/S. Vo (BSU) def. A. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) 8-3
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Megan Price (BYU) def. Lauren Megale (BSU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. Sonia Klamczynzka (BSU) def. Elle Carney (BYU) 7-6, 6-0
3. Stephanie Jasper (BSU) def. Callie Craig (BYU) 0-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Desiree Tran (BYU) def. Marlena Pietzuch (BSU) 6-3, 0-6, 6-3
5. Elyse Edwards (BSU) def. Elizaveta Ezhova (BYU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Sandy Vo (BSU) def. Aubrey Paul (BYU) 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 1, 4, 3, 5, 6