Junior Kristina Doerr earned one of two points for the Cougars (Photo by Jaren Wilkey/BYU Photo)
PROVO -- The No. 39 BYU women’s tennis team fell victim to an upset by No. 46 Boise State Wednesday. The Broncos’ 5-2 win dropped the Cougars to 3-5 on the season.
Boise State came out strong in doubles, notching an 8-4 win on court one. A victory at the No. 3 position gave the Broncos the doubles point. Freshmen duo McCall Jones and Megan Price secured the only pairs win of the day for the Cougars, an 8-4 victory on court two.
“We came out slow today,” BYU coach Craig Manning said. “Boise State is too good of a team for us to give them the head start that we did.”
BSU gained its next two points with wins on courts one and three. Junior Kristina Doerr came back after losing the first set to give BYU its first singles win. Chie Hayasaka also split sets but eventually fell to Bianca Jochimsen to give the Broncos the win.
The match continued at the No. 5 position, where sophomore Elle Carney forced a tiebreak and overcame her BSU opponent to earn another win for BYU. Price pulled away from Klaudia Wlodarczyk in the first set, but the Boise State senior took the second set, the tiebreak and the victory.
“Our last few matches have been tough,” Manning said, “but we’re getting better all the time and that’s all we can focus on now.”
BYU will have a short break before facing Nevada Saturday. The Wolfpack is currently 1-1 and coming off a 6-1 loss to Sacramento State. The Cougars earned a 4-3 win when the teams met last season. Manning said he is looking forward to Saturday’s match.
“We need to keep playing right now,” Manning said. “The things we’re working on only apply in match play, so we need more than practice.”
The match begins at noon at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts, south of the Smith Fieldhouse. Admission is free. All BYU “Y Lot” parking lots are open to the public all day Saturday.
No. 39 BYU-2
No. 46 Boise State-5
1. Thongdach/Megale (BSU) def. Doerr/Nedakovic (BYU) 8-4
2. Jones/Price (BYU) def. Wlodarczyk/Silfany (BSU) 8-4
3. Baum/Jochimsen (BSU) def. Carney/Hayasaka (BSU) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. #104P. Thongdach (BSU) def. M. Jones (BYU) 6-4, 6-3
2. K. Doerr (BYU) def. L. Megale (BSU) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
3. V. Silfany (BSU) def. R. Nedakovic (BYU) 6-3, 6-2
4. B. Jochimsen (BSU) def. C. Hayasaka (BYU) 1-6, 6-4, 6-3*
5. K. Wlodarczyk (BSU)def. M. Price (BYU) 3-6, 6-4, 10-8
6. E. Carney (BYU) def. R. Frej (BSU) 4-6, 6-2, 10-7
* denotes clinching the match--Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2, 4, 6, 5