Megan Price scored the lone singles victory against the Mavericks, taking a 6-4, 6-4 decision over her Court 3 opponent. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
BOISE – The BYU women’s tennis team dropped its first of two matches in Boise, falling to University of Texas Arlington, 5-2, Friday at the Appleton Tennis Center.
The Cougars (3-8) jumped out ahead, winning the doubles point over the Mavericks (7-3). Senior Megan Price and sophomore Desiree Tran took the first doubles win for BYU, edging out Maria Martinez-Romero and Nikola Matovicova, 8-6, on Court 1.
UT Arlington answered with a win on Court 3, topping juniors Aubrey Paul and Andie Young, 8-6. The match was the first Young has played in since injuring her foot in the fall.
Playing at the No. 2 doubles position, freshmen Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Morgan Anderson secured the doubles point for the Cougars, taking a 9-7 decision over Natalia Mayuk and Giada D’ortona.
The teams exchanged wins to start the singles competition. Matovicova defeated BYU’s Paul, 6-3, 6-1, on Court 5 before Price topped her Court 3 opponent in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4.
The Mavericks won the next four matches to grab the overall win. Verena Scott scored the fourth point, securing the UT Arlington win, taking a 6-3, 7-6(3) decision over Anderson on Court 2.
The Cougars continue action in Boise, taking on Boise State Saturday at noon at the Appleton Tennis Center.
UT Arlington 5, BYU 2
March 9, 2012 – Boise, Idaho
1. Maria Martinez-Romero (UTA) def. Desiree Tran (BYU), 6-7, 6-1, 6-3
2. Verena Scott (UTA) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU), 6-3, 7-6 (3)
3. Megan Price (BYU) def. Natalia Mayuk (UTA), 6-4, 6-4
4. Giada D’ortona (UTA) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU), 7-6, 6-3
5. Nikola Matovicova (UTA) def. Aubrey Paul (BYU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Liucija Smaizyte (UTA) def. Lisa Waldron (BYU), 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 6, 4, 2, 1
1. Price/Tran (BYU) def. Martinez/Matovicova (UTA), 8-6
2. Sheehan-Dizon/Anderson (BYU) def. Mayuk/D’ortona (UTA), 9-7
3. Scott/Foote (UTA) def. Paul/Young (BYU), 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2