Aubrey Paul secured the match win over Portland with her victory on Court 5. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
PORTLAND – Winning its second conference match of the weekend, the BYU women’s tennis team took a 5-2 decision over the Portland Pilots Saturday on the road.
“The girls played well this weekend,” BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “We have been building great momentum that we’ll take into our last conference matches.”
The Cougars (7-12, 3-2 WCC) took the doubles point over the Pilots (4-12, 0-3 WCC) after winning on courts 1 and 3. Senior Megan Price and freshman Meghan Sheehan-Dizon posted the first BYU win, with a quick 8-3 victory on Court 1. Junior Aubrey Paul and freshman Lisa Waldron followed with an 8-4 win on Court 3 to give the Cougars the doubles point and a 1-0 lead. Portland took the remaining match, edging out freshman Morgan Anderson and sophomore Desiree Tran 7-6.
The Pilots evened the match score after earning the first singles win, a 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 win on Court 3 over Sheehan-Dizon. BYU quickly answered with on courts 2 and 1. Anderson topped Sabine Fuchs 7-5, 6-4 before Tran defeated Anastasia Polyakova 7-6(9-7), 6-2.
Playing at the No. 5 singles position, Paul earned the Cougars their fourth point of the match, securing the BYU win, with a straight set victory (6-3, 6-4) over Emily Mahairas. Price extended the Cougars win margin, defeating Alice Tucker 6-3, 6-4 on Court 4.
The Pilots took the final win of the match, as Gabrielle Gorence topped junior Andie Young 6-2, 7-6(4).
BYU will take a week break before finishing the final two matches of the regular season at LMU April 20 and Pepperdine April 21.
BYU – 5
Portland – 2
1. M. Price/M. Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. A. Tucker/E. Mahairas (UP), 8-3
2. V. Hoath/A. Polyakova (UP) def. M. Anderson/D. Tran (BYU), 7-6
3. A. Paul/L. Waldron (BYU) def. G. Gorence/S. Fuchs (UP), 8-4
Order of finish: 1,3,2
1. Desiree Tran (BYU) def. Anastasia Polyakova (UP), 7-6(9-7), 6-2
2. Morgan Anderson (BYU) def. Sabine Fuchs (UP), 7-5, 6-4
3. Valeska Hoath (UP) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU), 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Megan Price (BYU) def. Alice Tucker (UP), 6-3, 6-4
5. Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Emily Mahairas (UP), 6-3, 6-4
6. Gabrielle Gorence (UP) def. Andie Young (BYU), 6-2, 7-6(4)
Order of finish: 3,2,1,5,4,6