McCall Jones recorded another singles win for the Cougars Thursday. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
USAFA -- In the first match of the weekend, the BYU women’s tennis team earned its second conference win with a 6-1 triumph over Air Force Thursday. With the victory, the Cougars improved to 6-11 on the season and 2-2 against Mountain West Conference teams.
“It was very windy and a little bit cold during the match,” BYU coach Joey Johnson said. “I was pleased with the way everybody fought through the elements.”
BYU dominated doubles play, winning on all three courts to secure the point. The No. 28-ranked sophomore tandem of McCall Jones and Megan Price, playing together for the first time since mid-March, downed Christen Monreal and Hannah Drake at the top of the lineup. Kristina Doerr and Chie Hayasaka won by the same score on court two to clinch the point. Elle Carney and Liza Ezhova finished pairs play by defeating Melissa Cecil and Christine Molina 8-5.
In singles, the Falcons fought back, earning one win and forcing three matches to three sets. Jones and Doerr both handily defeated their respective opponents in two sets to put the Cougars up 3-0.
Sarah Cassman earned the only win for Air Force in a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Aubrey Paul on court six. Carney, Hayasaka and Ezhova all came out on the winning end of three-set battles to secure the 6-1 decision.
“Chie was down by a set and was losing 5-2 in the second, and she came back to win it,” Johnson said. “She played a fantastic match.”
Friday, BYU will continue conference play against Colorado State at Miramont Lifestyle Fitness South. First serve is set for 2 p.m. `
1. No. 52 McCall Jones (BYU) def. Christen Monreal 6-2, 6-3
2. Kristina Doerr (BYU) def. Tahlia Smoke, 6-1, 6-2
3. Chie Hayasaka (BYU) def. Hannah Dake, 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
4. Elle Carney (BYU) def. Christine Molina, 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
5. Elizaveta Ezhova (BYU) def. Melissa Cecil, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Sarah Cassman (AF) def. Aubrey Paul, 7-5, 6-4
1. No. 28 Jones/Megan Price (BYU) def. Monreal /Dake, 8-3
2. Doerr/Hayasaka (BYU) def. Allie Chermel / Smoke, 8-3
3. Carney/Ezhova (BYU) def. Cecil / Molina, 8-5