This week's MWC Player of the Week, Freshman Hadley MacFarlane, kept her unbeaten singles streak alive on Friday but the Cougars lost to WSU 4-3 in a tough match. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
LEWISTON -- The No. 49 BYU women's tennis team (4-4) lost to No. 44 Washington State (6-2) Friday as the Cougars of WSU were able to edge the Cougars of BYU 4-3.
"We really came out strong and played well in doubles," said BYU head coach Craig Manning. "But Washington State fought back and really played tough at all six singles positions."
BYU started the match off capturing the doubles point by winning two of the three matches. Seniors Dominique Reynolds and Liza Klempner came out strong and beat Lorena Arias and Chris Martinez 8-6 at the No. 1 spot. Olga Boulytcheva and Rebecca Pike captured the other doubles victory for BYU at the No. 3 position by beating Annabel Stefanchuk and Orsolya Sallai 8-3. Nicole Schneider and Hadley MacFarlane dropped their first dual match of the season in doubles at the No. 2 spot when they lost to Nora Gaal and Zsofi Fodor in a tough match that ended 9-7
WSU rallied in singles and was able to win the match by capturing four of six singles matches. Freshmen Boulytcheva and MacFarlane were the lone Cougars to win in singles. Boulytcheva beat Martinez 3-6, 7-5, 6-4 at the No. 3 spot and MacFarlane remained unbeaten in dual match play by beating Zorana Roganovic 6-3, 6-2 at the No. 6 spot. MacFarlane is now 8-0 in singles since the regular season started in January.
"We really got some good play out of our freshman today," said Manning. "We just need to bounce back and focus on our match tomorrow with Washington."
BYU will be back in action tomorrow morning as they take on No. 20 Washington at 11 a.m. in Lewiston, Idaho.
No. 42 Washington State defeats No. 49 BYU, 4-3.
1. Orsolya Sallai (WSU) def. Dominique Reynolds (BYU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Lorena Arias (WSU) def. Liza Klempner (BYU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Olga Boulytcheva (BYU) def. Chris Martinez (WSU) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
4. Nora Gaal (WSU) def. Rebecca Pike (BYU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Annabel Stefanchuk (WSU) def. Nicole Schneider (BYU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Hadley MacFarlane (BYU) def. Zorana Roganovic (WSU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Reynolds/Klempner (BYU) def. Arias/Martinez (WSU) 8-6
2. Fodor/Gaal (WSU) def. MacFarlane/Schneider (BYU) 9-7
3. Pike/Boulytcheva (BYU) def. Stefanchuk/Sallai (WSU) 8-3