Dominique Reynolds teamed up with Leeza Klempner at No. 1 doubles Saturday against Kansas. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
TOPEKA, Kan. (Jan. 25, 2003) The BYU women's tennis team (0-2) lost another close match this weekend, this time to the University of Kansas (1-0) by the score of 4-3 on Saturday.
Kansas sealed the victory when Emily Haylock prevailed over freshman Olga Boulytcheva in a tough three-set match at No. 3 singles. Haylock won 3-6, 6-1, 6-4.
"It was tough for Olga (Boulytcheva) to play under that kind of pressure," BYU head coach Craig Manning said. "This was her first match ever on the collegiate level and the final result of the match came down to her. I thought she played well considering the circumstances."
The Cougars dominated in all three doubles positions to claim the doubles point.
"We played very well in doubles today," Manning said. "I changed the line-up a bit before this weekend and I think that helped to balance things out a little."
Seniors Dominique Reynolds and Leeza Klempner beat sisters Kristen and Courtney Steinbock 9-8 in a tough match at first doubles. Rebecca Pike teamed up with Lu Oswald at No. 2 doubles and defeated Emily Haylock and Christine Skoda 8-4. Nicole Schneider and Hadley Macfarlane rounded out the doubles victories by beating Paige Brown and Kim Lorenz 8-4 at No. 3 doubles.
The Jayhawks were able to fight back and win the dual match by winning four of the six singles matches. Schneider and Macfarlane were the lone Cougars to win in singles. Schneider won at No. 5 singles by beating Lorenz 6-3, 6-3 and Macfarlane beat Luiza Loureiro 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 6 spot.
The Cougars will continue their season next Friday when they host Utah State in Provo.
No. 44 Kansas def. No. 48 BYU, Final Score 4-3
1. Reynolds/Klempner (BYU) def. Steinbock/Steinbock (KU) 9-8
2. Pike/Oswald (BYU) def. Haylock/Skoda 8-4
3. Schneider/MacFarlane (BYU) def. Brown/Lorenz 8-4
1. Courtney Steinbock (KU) def. Dominique Reynolds (BYU) 7-5, 6-3
2. Paige Brown (KU) def. Lu Oswald (BYU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Emily Haylock (KU) def. Olga Boulytcheva (BYU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Christine Skoda (KU) def. Leeza Klempner (BYU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Nicole Schneider (BYU) def. Kim Lorenz (KU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Hadley MacFarlane (BYU) def. Luiza Loureiro (KU) 6-2, 6-1