LARAMIE, Wyo. (April 6, 2002) ? Despite missing senior Brooke Beverley, the No. 40 BYU women?s tennis team pulled out an impressive 5-2 win at Wyoming Saturday afternoon. The win is the Cougars? second win in as many days over a Mountain West Conference opponent.
Lu Oswald and Dominique Reynolds teamed up at the No. 1 spot in doubles to convincingly win, 8-1. Oswald took over at that spot for Beverley. Nicole Schneider stepped in to play with Lindsay Ferrell at No. 2, and the tandem won 8-6. Elizaveta Khoudoiarova and Rebecca Pike picked up the win at No. 3 to complete the doubles sweep and get the point.
The Cougars picked up four more points in singles play, led by Pike?s straight-sets win over Yuliani Santi at No. 2. Reynolds won yet again, this time at No. 4 in straight sets. Khoudoiarova won every game en route to a straight-sets victory at No. 5. Schneider played at No. 6 and won as well.
BYU will complete MWC play Friday at Utah. The Cougars are currently 3-3 in conference and are on a two-match winning streak.
1. Oswald/Reynolds (BYU) def. Bowman/Hancock (WYO) 8-1
2. Ferrell/Schneider (BYU) def. Del Monte/Santi (WYO) 8-6
3. Khoudoiarova/Pike (BYU) def. Gyulai/Terhaar (WYO) 8-5
BYU WINS DOUBLES POINT
1. Jenny Bowman (WYO) def. Lu Oswald (BYU) 7-5, 6-1
2. Rebecca Pike (BYU) def. Yuliani Santi (WYO) 7-5, 6-4
3. Jen Hancock (WYO) def. Lindsay Ferrell (BYU) 6-2, 7-6
4. Dominique Reynolds (BYU) def. Paulina del Monte (WYO) 6-2, 6-2
5. Elizaveta Khoudoiarova (BYU) def. Toni Terhaar (WYO) 6-0, 6-0
6. Nicole Schneider (BYU) def. Kati Gyulai 7-5, 6-7, 10-6
BYU WINS MATCH 5-2