Junior Liza Ezhova
Click to watch the video.
PROVO -- The No. 64 BYU women’s tennis team soundly defeated No. 65 Denver 6-1 Saturday. With the win, the Cougars improve to 3-4 on the season.
“Even though the score was 6-1, there were some very good matches,” BYU coach Joey Johnson said. “We’re continuing to have effective practices and working to improve our intensity and focus and that’s happening.”
BYU took the doubles matches on courts one and three to notch the doubles point. At the No. 2 position Romina Nedakovic and Kristina Doerr trailed their opponents but were able to come back and complete the sweep in pairs play.
In singles, Megan Price, Nedakovic and Elle Carney were all able to capture their respective matches in straight sets. McCall Jones, at the No. 1 spot, lost her first set 6-1 before coming back to earn a decisive win. Liza Ezhova also dropped the first set and was down 5-3 in the second before mounting a comeback. The junior took the second and won the third set tiebreak to record another win for the Cougars. The only victory for Denver came in a three-set battle on court two.
“It was a good day, not because we won but, because we were consistent,” Johnson said. “It’s not always the score that matters but whether or not we are raising our level of play.”
The Cougars will take a week off before continuing the season against Arizona and DePaul.
No. 64 BYU- 6
No. 65 Denver- 1
1. No. 18 Jones/Price (BYU) def. Scnoy/Boothman (DEN) 8-3
2. Doerr/Nedakovic (BYU) def. Bergner/Bauregger (DEN) 8-7
3. Carney/Ezhova (BYU) def. Smith/Isberg (DEN) 8-1
1. No. 54 M. Jones (BYU) def. U. Schnoy (DEN) 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. J. Bauregger (DEN) def. K. Doerr (BYU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-1
3. M. Price (BYU) def. S. Bergner (DEN) 6-4, 6-3
4. R. Nedakovic (BYU) def. L. Boothman (DEN) 7-5, 6-2
5. L. Ezhova (BYU) def. E. Isberg (DEN) 1-6, 7-6 (9-7), (10-5)
6. E. Carney (BYU) def. M. Smith (DEN) 6-1, 6-0