MEMPHIS -- Bouncing back from a poor finish in the Minnesota Court Classic, the BYU women's tennis team swept the University of Memphis Monday in a dual match at the Wimbleton SportsPlex in Memphis, Monday.
The Cougars placed last in the four-team Minnesota Court Classic after losing their first match of the tournament 6-0 to Virginia Commonwealth on Friday and losing 4-3 in the consolation round to Minnesota on Saturday. However, the results were different for BYU against the Tigers Monday.
BYU won every match of the day and cruised to the dual match win. Leading the way for the Cougars was 22nd-ranked singles player Eline Chiew. Chiew won the number one singles match, 6-1, 6-2 over Christina Ladyman. Chiew also joined with freshman Lu Oswald to win the number one doubles match, 8-6, over the team of Ladyman and Sabrina Lindemann.
The only match that went an extra set was in number two singles which saw BYU's Jodi Richardson defeat Lindemann 4-6, 6-2, 6-1.
The Cougars will face Mississippi in a dual match Tuesday in Oxford, Miss.
1. Chiew (BYU) def. Ladyman, 6-1, 6-2
2. Richardson (BYU) def. Lindemann, 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
3. Khoudoiarova (BYU) def. Card, 6-3, 6-0
4. Reynolds (BYU) def. Wilkinson, 6-1, 4-1 ret.
5. Ferguson (BYU) def. O'Donoghue,6-1, 6-1
6. Oswald (BYU) def. Rao, 6-3, 6-2
1. Chiew/Oswald (BYU) def. Ladyman/Lindemann, 8-6
2. Khoudoiarova/Reynolds (BYU) def. Card/Rao, 8-0
3. Ferguson/Parker (BYU) def.O'Donoghue/Borthwick, 8-4